Masterbuilt Vertical Smoker Burner/Flame Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elliedoodle

Original poster
Sep 12, 2020
I recently purchased a Masterbuilt MPS 230s. I set it up as instructed but the burner is crooked, as you can see from the picture. Also, when I lite the smoker the flame looks like it is too yellow, and as you can see from the two other pictures the flame size does not really change when switching from medium to high.

Am I crazy or does it look like something is wrong?

Best,
Rob

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 66
Is it controling your pit temperature they way you want it to? If so i wouldn't worry about what the flame looks like aslong as it provides the heat

It looks like the bottom of the cabinet was bent during shipping. Mine was too. You might want to get under there and see if you can do a little tweaking to center the burner in the hole.

I cleaned the orifice and burner with some compressed air.

I looked at the bottom and agree it looks bent. I have played around with the burner housing and the bottom but I can't seem to do anything to fix the dent or stop the burner from tilting forward. The only thing I can think of is to get some washers to put between the burner housing and bottom of the smoker to even it out.

I tried to season it today. If the temperature was kept around low it would stay at a steady 200 degrees. If I increased the temperature to the high end of the low setting it would keep at a steady 270 degrees. If I increased the temperature to medium the flames from the burner came up and over the sides of the chip tray. Not sure if it is normal for that to happen at a medium temperature setting.

Afterwards I did notice that only 3/4 of the chip tray was getting enough heat to smolder the chips, not all the chips in front left of the try seemed to do anything. The burner itself was completely covered black soot.

Last edited:
I was thinking washers as well. It needs to be centered to perform well. I did away with the entire chip contraption, using a cast iron pan and two wok rings wired together. I’d take a picture, but it is in use. It seems to work well at higher temps. At lower temps for salmon, I set the pan on top of the burner ring.

Just an update incase someone else runs into this issue. I used washers to even out the burner. The flame was still mostly yellow causing black soot to build up on the burner. Masterbuilt sent me a new burner and new propane regulator, that fixed the issue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky