Masterbuilt Tripping GFI Outlet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
Well, dang. Uncovered my MBS this morning, set the PID controller to 250 and let it come up to temp. Then I put in two butts and lit the AMAZN pellet smoker and waited for the box to come back up to temp. Before it got there it tripped the GFI. First time that has ever happened. Tried several outlets on the same protected circuit with the same result. I took the PID out of the loop and tried the smoker by itself with the same result. It's been rainy and humid the last few days but I think if it was a humidity problem it would have happened immediately, not after a couple hours of operation. I'd welcome any suggestions as to troubleshooting the problem.

I dug the old propane smoker box out of the barn, cleaned the cobwebs out and moved the butts into it. It is humming along nicely using my Amazen Tube Smoker. Still, it was a PITA transferring everything from the back deck to the barn apron. I got yelled at for dripping grease as I went through the kitchen from the deck to the side door. It's the price you pay.

Reactions: JC in GB
Well, dang. Uncovered my MBS this morning, set the PID controller to 250 and let it come up to temp. Then I put in two butts and lit the AMAZN pellet smoker and waited for the box to come back up to temp. Before it got there it tripped the GFI. First time that has ever happened. Tried several outlets on the same protected circuit with the same result. I took the PID out of the loop and tried the smoker by itself with the same result. It's been rainy and humid the last few days but I think if it was a humidity problem it would have happened immediately, not after a couple hours of operation. I'd welcome any suggestions as to troubleshooting the problem.

I dug the old propane smoker box out of the barn, cleaned the cobwebs out and moved the butts into it. It is humming along nicely using my Amazen Tube Smoker. Still, it was a PITA transferring everything from the back deck to the barn apron. I got yelled at for dripping grease as I went through the kitchen from the deck to the side door. It's the price you pay.

Well its time to trouble shoot the connectors on the MES ad the ground connection.

If they look good then my best bet is that your element is starting to wear out some. I'm not well versed with the element resistance and GFI behavior but my understanding is that there is something with the flow that is happening through the element that the GFI things is bad so it trips, where if you put it on a non GFI outlet things work without any craziness.

So someone who understands elements and GFI and safety in this case can speak up a bit more to it but I THINK (be sure to double check) that you would be fine on a regular outlet in this case where the element is working but has some wear causing ti to trip the GFI.

Hopefully someone else chimes in to give u better info than I have :)

Yep. Norm and Tall have good points about it possibly being an issue with the element.
Other than that, it could be the GFI circuit itself.
Is the circuit protected by a GFI breaker or just a GFI outlet?

Reactions: JC in GB
If they look good then my best bet is that your element is starting to wear out some. I'm not well versed with the element resistance and GFI behavior
I've said this before , and it doesn't get much attention ( that's fine ) , but I had this same thing with mine . Got worse and worse . I made sure it was not going to ground with an ohm meter . The element itself checked at 2.5 . Should be around 18 . When the flow of current is to fast the GFCI believes it is going to ground and will trip after a few seconds .
I just had to replace mine last week . Checked each side of the element back to the case . Showed open both sides . Replaced with new , works great .
Pulled the old one . No breaks , burns or hot spots .

So someone who understands elements and GFI and safety in this case can speak up a bit more to it but I THINK (be sure to double check) that you would be fine on a regular outlet in this case where the element is working but has some wear causing ti to trip the GFI.
I would agree with this . In the event it trips the breaker ( my guess is it won't ) then you have other issues .

Reactions: tallbm
Sounds like you have a leaking element. A new element will likely fix the issue.

If you can run the burner for an hour off the AC mains, the element will dry out. An element that has moisture incursion can trip the GFCI. If it still trips after drying the element, the insulation is likely broken down and is leaking enough current to trip the GFCI.

My $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: MJB05615 and tallbm
Good info everyone. Like Chopsaw, mine does not trip immediately but does after a few seconds. Because of the location I didn't test it on a non GFI circuit. I'll give that a try and see what happens (now, where did I put that 10ga extension cord?). Won't be today though. Thanks everyone.

Just take it in the house and plug it in . You're already in trouble .

This is one of the reasons I gave up on the electric smoker. I'd been using the MES for a few months and then in the middle of a cook the GFI outlet on the patio just stopped working. It didn't trip, just stopped working. So did the ones in the bathrooms and the front porch. All one circuit. When an electrician came to replace 3 outlets (which were cooked) he pointed straight at the MES when I asked him what caused it. Keep in mind that the GFI circuit was only 14ga wire. I guess in 1988 that was ok....
Apparently it was running just close enough to the max to heat up and not trip. After a while that did it in.
A 20 amp circuit with 12ga wire is the way to go.

When the flow of current is to fast the GFCI believes it is going to ground and will trip after a few seconds .

Correct. It is called impedance. How much resistance is detected in a flow of electricity. More precisely, current. So, if a element is starting to break down. It can cause a GFIC trip. But a normal grounded circuit wouldn't detect this. Is it dangerous? Under the wrong circumstances it could be. It is a better idea to replace the element.

Taking all your advice, I tried it on a non GFI circuit and it worked fine. I let it run for a while, taking it from 80f to 200f with no problems. So I conclude that the element is going bad. I ordered a new one and will also make sure the connections are good when I install the new one. Also, it is on a 20 amp circuit and fairly new construction so I assume 12ga wiring per code. The good news is that moving the pork butts to the gasser worked just fine and gave me the chance to use the Amazen smoker tube for the first time.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Braz,
Are you using an Auber PID? If so, is the element connected directly to it? Is the smoker a MES30 or MES40? I've has so much good luck with my MES40, I'm just waiting for something like this to happen.

Braz,
Are you using an Auber PID? If so, is the element connected directly to it? Is the smoker a MES30 or MES40? I've has so much good luck with my MES40, I'm just waiting for something like this to happen.
Yes, Auber PID, MES 40 with the rewire as described by Tallbm. With that and the mailbox mod I am very happy with my setup and consider this just a maintenance thing. New element is about $35. At least when it happens to yours you'll know what to look for.

Reactions: MJB05615
Braz Braz I just did mine in the 30 . This tip may or may not help . There's a ground wire that sits behind the mounting bracket . I've read some guys struggle a bit putting it back together . Used a seal pic to align the ground wire with the mounting screw . Put the gasket on the element . Slide the whole thing into place and attach the element bracket to the case and tighten . Pull the pic out and put the screw thru ground wire .
Makes it simple . I think some try to hook the ground wire first . I used an alignment tool , and did it last .
20200726_122323.jpg 20200726_122350.jpg
20200726_122728.jpg

You mentioned that you took the Auber PID out of the loop as a test. Was this ending up with you plugging the element directly to your GFI outlet, totally bypassing any controllers?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky