Masterbuilt smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
I'm thinking of adding an electric smoke generator instead of my mailbox. Sometimes I can't check that it is still lit. I have a mes40. Does anyone have experience with the Masterbuilt electric smoke generator add on? Tips and tricks, advice, do's and don'ts....
Thanks.

This system is working well for me. I’m able to put chunks of wood in and it generates nice smoke for up to 14 hours.
D3101E4B-F6EB-4869-B26E-AB9A1433BE63.jpeg

This is what’s left after about 12-14 hours.

I'm thinking of adding an electric smoke generator instead of my mailbox. Sometimes I can't check that it is still lit. I have a mes40. Does anyone have experience with the Masterbuilt electric smoke generator add on? Tips and tricks, advice, do's and don'ts....
Thanks.

Attachments

• 91E69382-5B0D-4969-A51F-8923D22B5453.jpeg
    91E69382-5B0D-4969-A51F-8923D22B5453.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: creek bottom
I have the add on smoke generator AND I have the one shown above by PilotBird in my MES 30. I use the Masterbuilt add on mainly for doing cheese. I use it with a 2 foot long pc. of 3" aluminum duct so that I'm not adding heat to the cabinet. The only real issue I have with it is that the chips will get "stuck" in the vertical chamber and stop falling down. You have to watch the smoke output and poke around in the column once in awhile to get the chips to feed to the element. It does generate a lot of creosote. I've never used it directly connected to my cabinet, so I'm not sure if the heat from that would eliminate the creosote problem. It does work good for what I use it for. The one shown above by PilotBird works great. I just got one a couple weeks ago and posted a thread last week in the Electric Smoker Forum...

Reactions: Pilot Bird
The MES smoker attachment is not worth the money. I had to go out and poke the chips down about every 15 minutes due to them sticking in the chimney. AMAZEN tray or tube works much, much better

Reactions: chopsaw
I added a Bradley smoke generator to a 340g and it works very well. I had experience with Bradley and just happen to like being able to exactly time my smoke, combine types and the overall ease of the pucks. I think it's a personal preference.

Shortly after I got my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker I got the little slow smoker attachment and I love it. It means I only have to add wood chips every 6 hours instead of every hour. I also used it to smoke some cheese yesterday.

I have found the AMNPS in the MB mod with an aluminum duct removes the creosote and cools the smoke ... I think the upper air inlet on the MB, helps to cool the smoke and condense the creosote in the MB and in the duct...
Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg .. LEGS 4.jpg ..

...... creosote build up in the MB....
MB Mob Creosote buildup 002.JPG

.....Finished ham and no creosote...
HAM 004.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky