Masterbuilt Slow Smoker DOA ☠️

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buttinator

Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
So I bought one of those Masterbuilt Slow Smoker cold smoke units, but it arrived DOA ☠. Masterbuilt customer "Service" is of course terrible. Anyway, has anyone tried to resurrect/rewire one of these?

I do currently use an A-MAZE-N pellet tray, but I did buy the MES and would like to see how it works.

I've had 2 of them go bad, but it was after many years and uses. Did you buy it directly from MB? I've heard their Cust Svc is bad lately. If you got it elsewhere, no reason you can't try to exchange or return. I think it's an 800 watt element. I'd be willing to bet someone here can suggest a rewire or bypass.
I wish I had more info.

I've had 2 of them go bad, but it was after many years and uses. Did you buy it directly from MB? I've heard their Cust Svc is bad lately. If you got it elsewhere, no reason you can't try to exchange or return. I think it's an 800 watt element. I'd be willing to bet someone here can suggest a rewire or bypass.
I wish I had more info.
I bought it from Masterbuilt directly because Amazon was out of stock at the time. And it's been like a year. Obviously my bad not buying from Amazon and testing it within a 30 day return window.

Anyway, I'll do an autopsy and report my findings.

Somebody said you get more action from Masterbuilt through FaceBook than by calling them.
I don't do Facebook, so I can't vouch for that, except to say this came from credible SMF Members.

Bear

It arrived DOA? Can't you return it? Even Amazon makes that easy. Then order another.
they're pretty much just a heating filament and a switch. So I doubt you'd get too bad ones' in a row

Somebody said you get more action from Masterbuilt through FaceBook than by calling them.
I don't do Facebook, so I can't vouch for that, except to say this came from credible SMF Members.

Bear
That's a good idea, John. I forgot that has been mentioned a few times in the last year.

I bought it from Masterbuilt directly because Amazon was out of stock at the time. And it's been like a year. Obviously my bad not buying from Amazon and testing it within a 30 day return window.

Anyway, I'll do an autopsy and report my findings.
Every time I looked on MB, they were sold out. I ended up getting them from Home Depot online. It was hit and miss, I kept checking for a ferw days and it showed in stock and I grabbed it. The last one was about 18 months ago, so not sure what availability is now. Worth a try if you get to that point, at least you can return to Home Depot if needed.

Bear
Could be true. I have a Lincoln Navigator with some software issues. I made a comment on the Lincoln FB page, and things quickly happened in my favor.

I've had great experiences with them.on their website under the warranty tab.
Quick response both times I had issues.
Good luck

sorry I missed your comment about it being a year old now. Been there done that.
Are you pretty handy at troubleshooting? Try wiring across the switch. Look for loose wiring. Check for continuity from both plug blades to the underside element. With the switch on (or bypassed) the resistance should read about 24 ohms since I think it's ~600watt element. If not, and you've verified wiring, then the element is bad. Alas, although MB stocks a few replacement parts for this unit, the element isn't one of them, and it looks a bit unique.

Did my first smoke with the Auber. Worked great. Thanks for all who helped save my Masterbuild from becoming a landfill resident.

One thing: Is there some way to change the names of the Auber's probes? I couldn't figure out a way in the app. :emoji_thinking:

smokey.png

Tri Tip:

image0.jpg

Did my first smoke with the Auber. Worked great. Thanks for all who helped save my Masterbuild from becoming a landfill resident.

One thing: Is there some way to change the names of the Auber's probes? I couldn't figure out a way in the app. :emoji_thinking:

View attachment 515549

Tri Tip:

View attachment 515550
I can't find the ambient operating temp range Auber sent me. I'm thinking 32°F-120°F so I have mine on a piece of 2x6 to keep the smoker top from radiating heat to the bottom heat sink in the summer. This pic of a chop stick parasol was replaced with a clamp on parasol umbrella for lawn chairs, being hit with south and west sun.
20190404_120604.jpg

View attachment 515549

Tri Tip:

View attachment 515550

Glad to hear you are up and running well. Welcome to the PID club!
I think dr K has done I would take that approach to keep the PID in the shade from the sun and off from the heat of the smoker. That should do the trick.

I have no help for you from the probe naming I don't run that unit so luck.

Yeah great idea about the sunbrella. I already have a couple portable solar panels for the beach. I bought a USB fan that I'll put on the bottom of the Auber and keep it in the shade, with the fan running from solar. I could run it off of the Auber's power, but why not use free energy?

Funny I didn't notice the heatsink (or the wire feet) under the Auber until after my first smoke. I had it sitting on an aluminum pan. Duh, that just made the heatsink absorb the smoker's heat! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky