Masterbuilt question - 40" with RF controller vs 30" Bluetooth electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atoparok

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Ruidoso, NM
To begin with, I purchased a 30" Bluetooth MES in August. Model 20072115. The unit smokes pretty good and I have not seen the temp fluctuations mentioned by many of the other owners. But I do experience the non-functioning Bluetooth like most other owners.

Here's the deal. Masterbuilt has informed me that my phone is not compatible with their Bluetooth app and never will be. -Even though it's the correct droid version and an acceptable USB version. Anyway, they have offered to take my 30" model back and replace it with a 40" unit with RF remote. It's the top controller model and they gave me a model # of 2007311.

In return I have to sign a release / hold harmless agreement that reads like I can never complain about Masterbuilt again.

Not knowing anything about that 40" unit and not sure how often I would use Bluetooth or the remote anyway, Would You Do It? Is the 40" a better model?

Thanks...
...Atoparok

To begin with, I purchased a 30" Bluetooth MES in August. Model 20072115. The unit smokes pretty good and I have not seen the temp fluctuations mentioned by many of the other owners. But I do experience the non-functioning Bluetooth like most other owners.

Here's the deal. Masterbuilt has informed me that my phone is not compatible with their Bluetooth app and never will be. -Even though it's the correct droid version and an acceptable USB version. Anyway, they have offered to take my 30" model back and replace it with a 40" unit with RF remote. It's the top controller model and they gave me a model # of 2007311.

In return I have to sign a release / hold harmless agreement that reads like I can never complain about Masterbuilt again.

Not knowing anything about that 40" unit and not sure how often I would use Bluetooth or the remote anyway, Would You Do It? Is the 40" a better model?

Thanks...
...Atoparok
)

Thanks...
...Atoparok[

Thanks...
...Atoparok
I have a 40” Bluetooth,I had it for 2 years and had no problems with it. I really love it.

If the BT is getting you to 275 and it works for you then stick with it. The 20070311 is the gen 1 that is good but the exhaust vent and heating element are on the right side and your current BT has all serviceable accesses to all sensors etc.

If the BT is getting you to 275 and it works for you then stick with it. The 20070311 is the gen 1 that is good but the exhaust vent and heating element are on the right side and your current BT has all serviceable accesses to all sensors etc.

Thank you dr k,
I appreciate your reply! Not sure what you mean about the heating element and exhaust though. My BT unit has the element and exhaust on the right too. I do appreciate the info regarding access panels and the fact that the Gen 1 does not have them! Thanks for that info.

Yeah... my only issue with this thing is the Bluetooth connectivity. I Guess my point has been to place pressure on Masterbuilt to change their advertising. Based on reviews alone, it appears that around 30% of downloads have worked at all and of that 50% have some type of trouble with it. It's a large part of their advertising campaign. It would be different if they listed which phone models it's compatible with rather than stating droid 5 or higher and USB 40 or higher.

Thaks again
-dan

I looked up 20072155 BT and the top left rear behind the sunshield shows the vent and bottom right is the heating element. The 20070311 has the vent right above the heating element next to the rear controller.
Apparently the 20070311 Gen 1 40 (your missing a number in your post) is available through MB but the model is no longer on Amazon to find a pic. I have two 20070311 and the vent is opposite the 20072115 pic above.

The 20070411 is the 30" version of the 40" 20070311. Look it up I'm having a helluva time with this site right now. Compare interior/exterior pics with the post above or/and take pics of yours.

The 20070411 is the 30" version of the 40" 20070311. Look it up I'm having a helluva time with this site right now. Compare interior/exterior pics with the post above or/and take pics of yours.

You sir are correct on all accounts. I left out a number on the offered replacement and the vent on my model is definitely on the left side. That's what happens when an old fart relies on memory. ...but, the wife remembered incorrectly as well. lol What I like about the BT model is that everything is serviced from the front including the grease tray.

So you have two of the 20070311 models. As an owner, do you actually use the remote?

You sir are correct on all accounts. I left out a number on the offered replacement and the vent on my model is definitely on the left side. That's what happens when an old fart relies on memory. ...but, the wife remembered incorrectly as well. lol What I like about the BT model is that everything is serviced from the front including the grease tray.

So you have two of the 20070311 models. As an owner, do you actually use the remote?
I gave one to my daughter and she uses the rf controller because of temp swings. I did mods to mine with PID because both smokers never actually got to 275 when set to 275. My smokers maxed at 255 or so without food in it when set to 275 So the temp is constant with PID if the meat is raw or about done so I'm totally confident the temp is actually what it's set at and keep tabs with the remote chamber therm and don't need to go to the smoker unless I want to watch it for smoke production.

I gave one to my daughter and she uses the rf controller because of temp swings. I did mods to mine with PID because both smokers never actually got to 275 when set to 275. My smokers maxed at 255 or so without food in it when set to 275 So the temp is constant with PID if the meat is raw or about done so I'm totally confident the temp is actually what it's set at and keep tabs with the remote chamber therm and don't need to go to the smoker unless I want to watch it for smoke production.

Thanks for the information. My BT model does get to 275. I have verified this with my Thermo-Pro and an old fashion oven therm. The MES display is off by 2 degrees, but who's counting? So, I'm inclined to keep this smoker and continue to be a thorn in Masterbuilt's side for false advertisement / claims. Thanks again & keep smokin...
...Dan

Thanks for the information. My BT model does get to 275. I have verified this with my Thermo-Pro and an old fashion oven therm. The MES display is off by 2 degrees, but who's counting? So, I'm inclined to keep this smoker and continue to be a thorn in Masterbuilt's side for false advertisement / claims. Thanks again & keep smokin...
...Dan
I have issues with MB putting out a new model of BT smoker before fixing the app on the original BT smoker. On FB there's all kinds of complaints as well with remotely controlling MB smokers with an unacceptable app out of the box but MB keeps shipping out sub par controller product and people keep buying it. If the range with their flawless app (if/when that happens) is ten feet, then three big steps will get you to the control panel on the smoker. It's just a hassle in the winter when the app would keep you from having to go outside so much.

Reactions: Atoparok
I have issues with MB putting out a new model of BT smoker before fixing the app on the original BT smoker. On FB there's all kinds of complaints as well with remotely controlling MB smokers with an unacceptable app out of the box but MB keeps shipping out sub par controller product and people keep buying it. If the range with their flawless app (if/when that happens) is ten feet, then three big steps will get you to the control panel on the smoker. It's just a hassle in the winter when the app would keep you from having to go outside so much.

I agree. I'm one of the lucky ones because I found this thing on sale for $139. It's my friends, family and other MES owners who paid $270 or more to get the Bluetooth function that should be angry! I was never interested in Bluetooth, so I didn't look at the reviews and complaints until I found it doesn't work. Now I find tat abot 70% of MES owners can't connect at all and the rest have some other connectivity issues.
...Dan S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky