Masterbuilt Probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gumby47

Original poster
Aug 17, 2022
New MB 40 works well BUT temp probe read 165 in a pork loin after 1 hour! Was looking for 145. Took it out and used manual digital probe and it read 120. Using external probe it took about 2.5 to reach 145. It was first smoke. Any thoughts?

^^^^Exactly what Norm said.^^^^

My built in Meat Probes stayed in their sheaths for their entire lives.
I considered them useless.

Bear

Stick it in boiling water, see how far from 212F it reads, and use that correction factor for every subsequent measurement or thermostat setting that's using that probe for a setpoint.

I'd do the same thing with any probe. But I'd rather have a calibrated probe that needs a large correction to its indicated value than an uncalibrated probe that I just THINK is reading accurately.

Others may disagree but I think we'd all agree that it's important to feel comfortable with your tools. If that means buying a new probe, more power to ya'.

Yea... If there is a way to get the two (smoker probe, boiling water) close together and hold the tip of the probe in the boiling water... Should be close to 212 degrees ... a second test would be ice water .. Fill a big cup with crushed ice.. fill with water just to the top of the ice... Stir with probe and it should be close to 32 degrees ...

I would still go with a good double probed unit for chamber and meat ...

I've had troubles with my probes as well. I finally broke down an got a couple of nice instant reads, and I just go oof of those. I never use the built-in probes anymore. P.S. my wife showed me a thing called mercari. And I got a great deal on some instant reads. And they work great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky