Masterbuilt MPS230 A-Maze-N issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Roseand

Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
Hi guys! I have the 12 inch tube and when I turn the gas on, the burner eats away all the oxygen that my tube needs to smoke. My pellets are dry and my lighting procedure is successful so I know that's not the issue. Even with the burner on low, top vent all the way open and the tube placed halfway up, on an open grate so there's plenty of airflow area exposed it still fails.

When I was seasoning it I put the tube in the area mentioned above, and once I turned OFF the gas and let it sit for a couple minutes the tube began creating an impressive amount of smoke...

I have the chip tray above the burner, to deflect the flame too.

Should I cut some holes/add an adjustable vent in the bottom to allow the propane burner to get air from the outside? Any help is much appreciated!

Roseand, I'm no familiar with your particular smoker but I also have a MB propane smoker it has a vent on the either side on the bottom and another on the back at the top. I also use a a maze n OVAL EXPANDING TUBE SMOKER - 12 - 18. When I'm using the tube I open both bottom vents all the way and place the tube next to a open vent, with the lit end of the tube closest to the vent opening slightly raised, this normally gives the tube enough oxygen to continue to smoke, but there has been times were I also have to crack open the bottom door to allow enough air flow for the tube to continue to smoke. In addition I have removed the stock chip tray (junk) and replaced it with a cast iron skillet for when I use wood chunks. I use the wood chunks alone, or at times with my tube smoker.
I also use an amazn pellet tray, and an amazn dust tray in the smoker just depending on what I'm going for, and I always put them next to an open vent.
I hope this may have helped.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Roseand, I'm no familiar with your particular smoker but I also have a MB propane smoker it has a vent on the either side on the bottom and another on the back at the top. I also use a a maze n OVAL EXPANDING TUBE SMOKER - 12 - 18. When I'm using the tube I open both bottom vents all the way and place the tube next to a open vent, with the lit end of the tube closest to the vent opening slightly raised, this normally gives the tube enough oxygen to continue to smoke, but there has been times were I also have to crack open the bottom door to allow enough air flow for the tube to continue to smoke. In addition I have removed the stock chip tray (junk) and replaced it with a cast iron skillet for when I use wood chunks. I use the wood chunks alone, or at times with my tube smoker.
I also use an amazn pellet tray, and an amazn dust tray in the smoker just depending on what I'm going for, and I always put them next to an open vent.
I hope this may have helped.
Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it. Ideally I want to use just the amazen tube if I can get enough smoke from it. Ive used it with a grill before but this is my first time with a smoker. Sounds like the tube is more set it and forget it which I like!

Turns out my smoker has no adjustable vents on the bottom. Strictly only the opening below the burner!

I put it in the water pan.
So I tried this and even moved the tube right to the front so it was directly near the opening. Turn the burner on and a few minutes later there's no smoke. Turn it off and in a matter of seconds it's going strong again.

So I tried this and even moved the tube right to the front so it was directly near the opening. Turn the burner on and a few minutes later there's no smoke. Turn it off and in a matter of seconds it's going strong again.

You may have to try a tray then.

Did my first smoke with it yesterday! There's some smoke but I'd say when I cut the propane there's at least 2-4 times the amount. This is with the bottom door propped open.
Would adding bottom vents do anything or is something like the mailbox mod recommended?
IMG_20200223_124046668.jpg

Is the tube really going out? You want to have thin blue smoke leaving the smoker. With the bottom door cracked open you should be ok. The smoke I'm seeing looks good.

That smoke looks fine to me too.
I have the Masterbuilt Thermotemp propane smoker. Never had an issue with the tube not burning correctly. I have the same top vent as your and leave it half way closed. The tube will smoke for about 3-4 hours.

That smoke looks fine to me too.
I have the Masterbuilt Thermotemp propane smoker. Never had an issue with the tube not burning correctly. I have the same top vent as your and leave it half way closed. The tube will smoke for about 3-4 hours.
I am new to smoking so this is a bit of a learning curve!
I cold smoked some cheese with it and it was a constant exhaust of smoke and when I open the door the chamber is always filled with smoke.(overpowering, almost too much and thicker smoke though than when gas is on)
The picture above is after having the door open for a minute or so, so it's an inaccurate representation of the output. When closed, the output is less. Have you found closing the vent halfway like you do lets the smaller amount of smoke circulate longer and add more flavor?
I guess I'm not sure how much smoke you need for a strong flavor though either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky