Masterbuilt heating element replacement????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kudu2222

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I have been trying since April 4th to get a heating element for my 40 inch smoker (pt # 9907120027). I have been put off time and again with excuses and delays. Once again this afternoon I was told that their expected delivery is October 7th. I no longer believe anything I am being told. WHERE can I get a heating element, even a universal element that is approx 7" X 8", I am not sure what wattage I need.

Frustrated, I should have bought a Treager

DaveOmak, WELL CRAP!!!! I just checked and the wire is burnt off the one terminal!!!! What is a simple fix and how did you prevent it from happening again?  There is only about 1 1/4" of wire left to work with. I can't believe I have wasted a whole summer of smoking. Thank you for your help!!!!

DaveOmak, WELL CRAP!!!! I just checked and the wire is burnt off the one terminal!!!! What is a simple fix and how did you prevent it from happening again?  There is only about 1 1/4" of wire left to work with. I can't believe I have wasted a whole summer of smoking. Thank you for your help!!!!
I can send you a couple pigtail high temp connectors.  I also had no lead to work with.  I have over a dozen I got for $8.00, brass plated in nickel 900*F.  I'll just mail to you for free.  It's better than having them sit around here.  I double shrink tube them for heat resistance.  Here's a couple pics.  If you want two, just PM me and I'll drop them in the mail.

I soldered all my joints but you can wire nut it like MB sends there's, if necessary.  I used 14 gauge instead of Masterbuilt's 16.  I've got plenty for now and no problem to make in five minutes.  Many have said to look at the element quick disconnect first so I'm passing the buck!   

-Kurt

Reactions: uncle eddie
Clean BOTH terminals on the element with some fine sand paper....  Strip both wires back to good wire....  tin the wires....  tin the new female spade lugs and solder them...    slide the spades on the element spades...  then I would solder them in place...  

High amperage is what causes the spades to burn off...  poor connections....  any spades will work as long as they are soldered...   If you can get some fiberglass electrical tape, wrap all the new work with it...  

That fix should last forever...  mine has been operating for 5+ years with the fix.....  there's no way it will burn off with good solder joints...  

If they are plastic insulated spades, cut off the plastic...

Kurt, THANK YOU! I see in the pictures you provided how you repaired it. I'll run up to my local hardware store tomorrow and get my needed repairs. Thank you for the offer of the wire etc... I truly appreciate your advice!!!! Bob Phillips

Dave, Thank you again for your advice on the burned wires on my Masterbuilt smoker. I have it repaired and smoked some ribs today. Sure is good to have it up and working!  Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Bob Phillips

Kurt, Thank you again for your advice on the burned wires on my Masterbuilt smoker. I have it repaired and smoked some ribs today. Sure is good to have it up and working!  Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Bob Phillips

Bob, morning and thanks....   We have tons of knowledge to pass on....   we're not always right but pass it on anyways... 
icon14.gif

Dave

Reactions: hoity toit
Question; I just changed the element, wires and connectors. When I turn it on it heats up to 120 degrees or so and then it stops heating. What could be wrong?

Does the power go out ??   Will the smoker cool then start heating again ??  Open the door and let it cool...    If it starts up again, it's the over temp snap switch...   

So it won't turn back on after it cools to say, 70 degrees or so ???   if it's the over temp snap switch it should....   ONLY because your smoker warms up when turned on....    

The snap switch is the round button thing on the left side, back wall of the smoker body.....

Try this...  put an ice cube on it to cool it off fast and cold...  The smoker should turn on when that is done.....  unless something is haywire with the "re-wire" project you did...

What all did you re-wire ??  Can you check the continuity of the wires to heating element connections ??   Are the connections solid and tight. ??

Do the ice thing on the snap switch.....   That will tell us "something".....   Like I noted....   If it starts cold, it should restart when it cools off.... 

I changed the connectors to the other side., It went up to 115 then I opened it until the temp dropped to 80, closed it and it would not come back up. I disconnected it, disassembled the install, reassembled it again and now it wont even heat past ambient temp. 

No. There's a flat bolt to the left, is that it? What good would it do if now it doesn't even go past 80?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky