Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800 - one year in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the thoughts. First, I do not use it too close to the house, so I'm not going to burn down the house. Second, I don't think you really can "fire and forget" (a phrase for all of those military folks on this page!) with this grill. Third, I would, ultimately, want something I can monitor and control remotely, kinda like you're supposed to be able to do now with the temperature...
I think I misread your post. Sorry about that!! Definitely want something that does the control part.

Reactions: USNA85
Looks like a good solution and a fair price but I haven't tried any of the mods. Some on here have and maybe they'll drop in and give a review.

Keith

I got the hopper cover and the hopper dropper yesterday. I got a pork steak on the cooker now and I can report that the hopper cover works as advertised. I used the foil trick but my cover still leaked. It does not leak anymore.

And the " hopper dropper " worked like a charm. Just put it in the bottom of the firebox, pull out the charcoal grate, and all the coals fall into a Behrans bucket. Beautiful. This saves me a lot of clean up, since I repack the chute before every cook.

I got the hopper cover and the hopper dropper yesterday. I got a pork steak on the cooker now and I can report that the hopper cover works as advertised. I used the foil trick but my cover still leaked. It does not leak anymore.

And the " hopper dropper " worked like a charm. Just put it in the bottom of the firebox, pull out the charcoal grate, and all the coals fall into a Behrans bucket. Beautiful. This saves me a lot of clean up, since I repack the chute before every cook.
My hopper lid has leaked from day one. Recently it’s gotten worse, which leads to creosote build up, which makes the seal worse,which leads to more creosote build up.

Bought the hopper cover earlier this week and put it on yesterday. Did a test run of burgers, and the. Hopper cover works great. Wish I would’ve bought it a year ago.

I want to start by saying this is my first post, but I have used and loved this site for years!

After a TON of talking about the gravity series and falling in love with the 800 and griddle insert, my wife bought it for me for Christmas 2020. First it showed up busted up like crazy from shipping. Walmart easily just shipped me a new one. I got the grill set up and I could not have been happier with it. Great smoke flavor, seared steaks like no pellet grills could do, and making smash burgers on the griddle was icing on the cake.

My first long smoke was a disaster. I had a HUGE flare up that destroyed my brisket. The grill was cleaned out before doing the smoke, but if any and I mean any fat renders down this thing turns into a ball of flames.

Shortly into using the grill I noticed the fire box looking like it was deteriorating. I did some research on line and found a nice mod kit for around $300 that took care of that and some other issues like drip tray brackets to eliminate flare ups.

Since owning this grill I have had to replace both door safety switches and since that have had to just bypass both. The grill lid switch acts up, sometimes taking a few mins to notice the door is closed so the fan will run. When cooking any food that will render fat you better catch it all in drip pans or it will flame up. The griddle was a really good idea but the change over is kind of a pain in the rear so I rarely use it. I had to spend an extra $300 just to keep it operational for it's first year with the mod kit. Now last night I go to turn it on and it will not do ANYTHING. I contacted masterbuilt and to their credit they are sending me a new controller for free(in a week or two).

I REALLY wanted to love this grill, and I did at first. There are still some things I like about it, but after owning it for a year, i expect way more out of a $1000 investment. I think this grill should have way better quality for the original $700 and not require the mod kit.

Now I have a $1000 grill that I am not happy with and a mad wife that was skeptical about spending so much on it in the first place and zero chance of spending the money to buy a quality replacement for a while. I did not go into the venture as a grill or smoked meats newbie and was s camp chef pellet grill fan for years before getting this thing. Thank God I kept my SmokePro Se to do my briskets, butts, and ribs on.
I have been considering a MB800 for the last few months. I VERY MUCH appreciate your thoughts! I don't have time to mod things. The concept is awesome, and those that love them really love them, but it has to work right out the box...cause I'm not a guy that has time to dink around with stuff. Not ruling it out right now... or just based on your thoughts, but its night to have any owner's point of view.

Brickseek has the MB800 at several Walmarts here in OKC for $347.

Plug your zip code in here to check your area

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=942374130
Thanks for this, I can get the 800 in PA for this and I am heading up there this weekend.

For those with the 800 does it have enough room to smoke a couple racks of ribs, a half tray of charro beans and room for several peppers? I have heard that the 800 can't be expanded on the second shelf like the 1050? Lastly how is the bottom (main) grate for smoking, I have read it gets too hot and you need to use the second grate for smoking?

I have been considering a MB800 for the last few months. I VERY MUCH appreciate your thoughts! I don't have time to mod things. The concept is awesome, and those that love them really love them, but it has to work right out the box...cause I'm not a guy that has time to dink around with stuff. Not ruling it out right now... or just based on your thoughts, but its night to have any owner's point of view.
Hey doc my 1050 has worked since 01/21 with heavy use and no mods.
Sounds like HB possibly, unfortunately got a lemon. I highly recommend it to anyone in the market for a new smoker/grill. Low /slow or sear it's a beast!

Keith

Reactions: clifish
Thanks for this, I can get the 800 in PA for this and I am heading up there this weekend.

For those with the 800 does it have enough room to smoke a couple racks of ribs, a half tray of charro beans and room for several peppers? I have heard that the 800 can't be expanded on the second shelf like the 1050? Lastly how is the bottom (main) grate for smoking, I have read it gets too hot and you need to use the second grate for smoking?

Ya might try to get to that deal ASAP. Around here, when they show up on Brickseek, they don't last very long. But its probably different everywhere.

Time for a road trip Cliff.
Several around these parts and I found this for $499.

Keith

Attachments

• 20220728_104720.jpg
    20220728_104720.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 12
Time for a road trip Cliff.
Several around these parts and I found this for $499.

Keith
yeah for $499 I can get it too, I am in no rush, I will look after summer to see what I can find on either the 1050 or Char griller 980

I'm currently looking at the MB because of what it can do, but when I saw one up close I saw China written all over it. I swear, it is a race to the bottom and I would gladly pay an extra couple of hundred if it meant an operational and worry free unit that would last. I don't see that on the display floor though. Go right ahead and call me a snob, I don't care.

install vidmate get-mobdroapk.com

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at the MB because of what it can do, but when I saw one up close I saw China written all over it. I swear, it is a race to the bottom and I would gladly pay an extra couple of hundred if it meant an operational and worry free unit that would last. I don't see that on the display floor though. Go right ahead and call me a snob, I don't care.
I don't disagree, you would have to spend in the thousands for a gravity feed like an Assassin built in the USA. If it was only a few hundred more, many more people would have them.

We've all been there.

But no one else has yet to build the cooker you're thinking of. I heard rumors early this year that there would be a new GF on the market. I never saw it.

You can step up to Assassin 17, or Southern Q limo jr, et al, but you'll pay thousands for those.

And actually, I'm completely over the cheapness of the product. Its a rib cooking machine. Its a damn good cooker.

So was in a Walmart in honesdale PA and low and behold they had one mb 800 on sale for $347. In my car it is. Their website showed none in. Stock in a 100 mile radius. My friend is stopping by a few Walmarts in the way home to see about one for him

Reactions: bill1 and 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky