Masterbuilt electric project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ringer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2019
Chickamauga, GA
I got one of these a few years ago and the controller has rotted away. It worked fine other than that.

Is it worth replacing the controller with the Bluetooth model or is there something better.

What would you guys do to upgrade it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-123131_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014-123131_Chrome.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20211014_123055.jpg
    20211014_123055.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20211014_123049.jpg
    20211014_123049.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 71
I haven't done it yet, but was going to tell you the same thing. I'm still wondering if building a pid or buying is cheaper/ better idea.

Is this a good plug and play~ish solution

Also where can I find info on the other mods like smoke generator etc.

Is this a good plug and play~ish solution

Also where can I find info on the other mods like smoke generator etc.
That's the one I use on my MES30

Reactions: Ringer
Between reviewing the instruction here and the auber web site it took me longer to get a piece of wire and a couple of spade connectors than it did to bypass the relay.

Reactions: tallbm and Ringer
I'll definitely need help. I have no idea what that is...lol
A PID Controller (Proportonal, Integral, Derivative = PID) will measure the temperature inside your smoker with a temp probe ( you clip it to the bottom smoker rack) and based on the set temperature you punch into the controller, it will cut on/off electricity to the smoker to hit and hold on that set temp. Usually holds within 1-3 degrees with no wild temp swings.

To use one you have to do a simple rewire to your MES. Basically you cut the ends off 4 wires. Then you wire nut he proper ends together to make 2 whole wires and you're done!
Now your rewired MES will take electricity from the plug and send it to the heating element bypassing all the old MES electronics.
This is why the PID controller is needed.

You plug the PID into the wall outlet and clip the temp probe to the bottom rack inside the smoker.
Then you plug the MES plug into the PID.
Turn on the PID and enter a set temp and it will take power from your wall outlet and feed it to the MES plug/heating element and then hit/hold your set temp. No magic needed :)

You turn your golf cart of a smoker into a Ferarri! You can now smoke sausage, bacon, jerky, etc. without fear of melting fat or temp swings that ruin things for you. You now can hit your max MES temp of 275F where the original controller rarely ever did and didn't hold it due to temp swings.
Your smoker is now awesome! :D

Read all about rewiring for a PID here:

I haven't done it yet, but was going to tell you the same thing. I'm still wondering if building a pid or buying is cheaper/ better idea.
If you have never bought the parts, tools, and additional items (insulation shrink wrap, extra wire, etc. etc.) it is WAY less expensive to just buy one.
Also if you build one you really need a drill press, vice, an easy way to cut squares/rectangles into sheet metal, etc. etc.

I've both built and bought and yeah the last one I built I spent $40 less then buying an Auber BUT I still didn't come out in the black from all the tools, drill bits, dremel cutting wheels, and extra crap needed to do the job... and I only have hand tools which makes it way more difficult than having a drill press and vise, etc. etc.

So I recommend buy unless you really enjoy a project and don't mind spending double and don't mind potentially ruining pieces that you have to buy again (project box/enclosures).

Following
You can read all about rewiring an MES for using with a PID controller here:

Ask all the questions you have, the guys here are awesome! Plus all of us PID guys would never go back and usually wonder why we waited so long to bite the bullet and move to a PID :)
I hope this info helps all of you :)

tallbm tallbm WOW!!

Thanks so much for all of the info. A pid is definitely what I'm looking for and I really like the wifi auber model. I will read up on the tutorials and thank for all of the links. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: tallbm
If you have never bought the parts, tools, and additional items (insulation shrink wrap, extra wire, etc. etc.) it is WAY less expensive to just buy one.
Also if you build one you really need a drill press, vice, an easy way to cut squares/rectangles into sheet metal, etc. etc.

I've both built and bought and yeah the last one I built I spent $40 less then buying an Auber BUT I still didn't come out in the black from all the tools, drill bits, dremel cutting wheels, and extra crap needed to do the job... and I only have hand tools which makes it way more difficult than having a drill press and vise, etc. etc.

So I recommend buy unless you really enjoy a project and don't mind spending double and don't mind potentially ruining pieces that you have to buy again (project box/enclosures).

I have everything needed to make one except the parts. Don't think you want to read my resume, but trust me... what I do for work makes me not want to do it when I get home. Think I'll just buy one. I have some questions about the aubers so maybe I'll start another thread or just PM you.

I have everything needed to make one except the parts. Don't think you want to read my resume, but trust me... what I do for work makes me not want to do it when I get home. Think I'll just buy one. I have some questions about the aubers so maybe I'll start another thread or just PM you.
Feel free to ask here if you want, otherwise I'll watch for your thread.

Auber PID is the way to go. Been running my MES40 with one for 5+ years. Looks like the OP has a 40 as well. Might consider flipping the element over to get it more centered in the box.

I totally understand hahaha. I think buying one will be the thing that makes you happiest. Honestly now that I've done a few the most annoying part ALWAYS fighting with the project box/enclosure.
It all starts with just freaking finding one that is the right size and will do the job properly.
Then it's cutting into the thing and making it look good and fit well. SOOOO annoying!

Ask any questions you like about the Auber's. Their manual was written by a drunk 2nd grader so it can be hard to understand at times hahaha. In a thread or in a PM, it's up to you. I do know guys who are curious or needing some help love to see the posts available publicly so they can research as much as possible :)

I'll definitely need help. I have no idea what that is...lol
I followed tallbm's instructions. I tell you what, I am seriously challenged when it comes to stuff like this but the way he layed it out even I had no problems. Thanks tallbm!
I don't recall what model Auber I got but man my Mes40 is great now. Seems to jack up my electric bill though, is that normal?

Ok... so Ive been looking at the different controllers on Auber's website. I've narrowed it down to two.

First the one mentioned above the $139 WS-1510ELPM Here and then the $199 WST-1510H Here. I noticed the $79 SMD-200A but after a brief read of the details it's not complete without the SSR so that's right out. Looks easy enough but I'm not going to build one. According to MES the heating element on my unit is 1200W so either will do the trick.

I see little difference in the operation of the two, just different types and number of of probes... PT100 vs PT1000 and the displays are different. Also, I noticed the ELPM is fused while the 1510H is not. Don't know why that is but hopefully my circuit breaker will handle that if the need arises. That and the 1510H has a plug for a smoke generator.

I'm leaning toward the 1510H simply for the probe options. My only question really is the reliability of these controllers and customer service. I see a 1 year warranty. Thoughts or good/bad stories relating to those issues?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky