Masterbuilt Duel Fuel Pro - a novice with some questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oneeyebandit

Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
Thanks mostly to this forum, I made a jump and bought a masterbuilt dual fuel smoker. I read up on a handful of threads and even before the smoker got here, I ordered a few things and now that it's here I have a few questions that I'm hoping folks can help out with.

Here are the mods I have so far:

- Bayou Classic 0-30 PSI Adjustable Regulator/Hose Assembly - I totally over tightened this because I accidentally removed the the original hose as well as the connector (showing my lack of knowledge here.. not even sure what it's called). 

- 8 inch cast iron pan (will sit on top of the original wood pan - may replace the pan with a grate if it's too high to get the wood smoking)

- A mod combo from bbqsmokermods: http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/mb-g-t-rtv.htm (bought this middle of the night on impulse) 

Okay, here's the barrage of questions - sorry in advance: 

1. I haven't seasoned the smoker yet - should I season first before applying the gasket on the door or after or it doesn't matter?

2. The gasket has self adhesive but the bundle comes with a tube of RTV which I had assumed was included to be used with the gasket (until I read later it was like sticking on tape). What would I use the RTV for aside from caulking, etc?

3. The lavalock latch (http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/togg-fmp-2pk.htm) - the front door is insulated/double pane (and pretty narrow) so I'm not quite should how to install this particular latch. Any recommendations? I read that some people used bolt rivets but I think the front door panel still poses a problem (and what material would be safe to use for screws/bolts).

I figured I'd get a few things in place that seemed to be universally recommended before I firing off my first cook/smoke :)

Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky