Masterbuilt 1050 w/100% Pecan Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
Today I put a 20 lb brisket on the 1050 using 100% pecan wood. The after market fan rated at 157cfm got the smoker ready to 225 within 10 minutes.
20200712_135411.jpg

Reactions: Aledavidov
Interesting. I have been running about 1/2 wood with lots of success. I know MB recommends limiting it to fist sized wood chunks so that it doesn't burn too hot but this doesn't make total sense to me since we are controlling the combustion by limiting the airflow. Intuitively I would think smaller chunks would equal more surface area and potentially higher localized temps and less mass to absorb the heat but I will have to give it a little more thought and maybe set up some TCs in the burn box.

Did you try 100 percent wood with the stock fan? Was that a necessary upgrade to burn wood neat?

I am also a little divided on whether I think charcoal or wood might be more abrasive on the firebrick as it feeds through. Larger wood pieces seem like they might be more likely to catch and tear the firebrick, especially since it seems like it is a fiber refractory.

Interesting. I have been running about 1/2 wood with lots of success. I know MB recommends limiting it to fist sized wood chunks so that it doesn't burn too hot but this doesn't make total sense to me since we are controlling the combustion by limiting the airflow. Intuitively I would think smaller chunks would equal more surface area and potentially higher localized temps and less mass to absorb the heat but I will have to give it a little more thought and maybe set up some TCs in the burn box.

Did you try 100 percent wood with the stock fan? Was that a necessary upgrade to burn wood neat?

I am also a little divided on whether I think charcoal or wood might be more abrasive on the firebrick as it feeds through. Larger wood pieces seem like they might be more likely to catch and tear the firebrick, especially since it seems like it is a fiber refractory.
I didn't try 100% wood with the stock fan, I did the fan mod first. But don't believe it's a necessity to burn all wood
Well, I don't worry about the "firebrick" as I did the 12 ga. stainless steel mod a month ago. Which is holding up very well, no warping whatsoever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky