Masterbuild XL Mods - Post your mods here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cast iron on top of the OEM tray really seems like the way to go. It's been working well for me.

One more question...

Has anyone tried putting wood AND charcoal in the pan to start off the cook before switching to gas to impart a little extra flavor and char?

Hey fellow smokers!! I just purchased my new Master built XL. I have been reading about all the mods so there for I'm doing all of them!! I'm replacing the chip pan with a 12" skillet, replacing the water pan. I'm gonna use the door handle mod. Also gonna seal the door and install a smoke stack. All while putting it together!! My questions are is there a preferred location for the smoke stack and also has anyone put vents at the bottom? If so how many and it what location? Thanks for any help.

There's adhesive on the back of it.  It's a little wider than the frame so I just took a razor blade and trimmed it after it was installed.

I have had my XL Smoker for a couple of years at least, and tried some of the various mods suggested here. I ended up using a 9x13x2 baking pan for a water pan set into the unmodified water pan holder frame, and a dollar store cake pan covered with perforated foil for my wood chunks. I can slide my smoke pan on or off the burner as much as I need to based on my fire/heat setting by using a fire brick on the side of the burner to hold the pan fairly level. I keep the factory vent set at 50% open summer or winter, and can stay between 250*F and 275*F from start to finish w/o resetting the burner. My smoker is in a semi enclosed area, but it always seems right after I light the smoker, the wind starts blowing.I would say the best mod I ever did to my XL, was blocking the back and the two sides at the bottom to keep the wind out. I found out the hard way, a little wind will blow the heat right out of my smoker.

Made a minor mod to how mine is set up, mine is now a pellet smoker only, using one of the amazing tube smokers, with some of what i have i could easily still make it a chunks or chips burner, i even have the iron skillet, but for the most part i prefer the pellets.

The sand is to help maintain heat once it gets going, as when the door is opened pretty much everything goes out, and the pan above it is for water, and drippings. i tried it without the sand, and the water boiled away far to fast, this way it is more controlled. I should also note i lowered the rack that holds the water pan, and probably will lower it some more, might get some chain to hold the sand pan, and get it right up under the water one, then lower it as low as i can and still use the tube smoker, but right now this works great.

The thing that the tube smoker is setting on is one of these

i drilled some holes under it for air, and the combination works fantastic, once i did that i have never had the pellets go out.

Last edited:
So for x-mas this year the I heard the wife asking my 13yr daughter if she knows what daddy wants for xmas?  So knowing this I laid the trap or hint.. I have been wanting a new smoker for awhile now and I just could not bring myself to spend $$$$ on a really nice one.  WHY?  Because I'm not doing any comps and it's just 3 of us.  So If I get the right one then I can mod it and get the felling of "WoW I made this"  So I started researching smokers and the kind I wanted.  I've had 3 different styles of smokers and all have one thing in common, they were stick burners.  Couple of weeks ago I was at a friends house to help him for his work party (BBQ) at his house.  He was using my smoker and his brand new one that was not big enough to fit all of his meat.  I was skeptical at first about his smoker, I've never used one or had any food off of one (that I know of.)  So I took the brisket and did it on my smoker and he did all the other meat(s).  After his bbq party was over and I had a chance to think about it, I made the decision to get a new smoker like his.  

The ease of watching him smoke (which he's a freakin beginner) and act like he is a seasoned pro and what I had to go thru to make his brisket (which was "freakin good" judged by everybody at the party) and what I have gone thru in the past blew me away.  I didn't realize it but I was not smoking or using my smoker at all over the past year which is odd for me cause I'm always trying new things... I think I was just tired of the hassle of smoking, getting the smoker up to temp, keeping it there and so on has become a chore.  YES I do know how to use a smoker, I've been doing it for 20+ years so stop judging.....   (had to say that)  

(back to the story)  SO I left open my browser on the smoker that I wanted and made sure that both wife and daughter saw what I was looking at.  I did my research on the smoker, went and looked at it and 2 days ago the UPS man dropped it off at the house.  It's a win - win for everybody.  

Oh by the way, I chose a Masterbuilt XL Vertical Propane smoker.

The mods will be as follows:

1.    Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator 

2.    1” Nomex High Temp BBQ Gasket (self stick) around the door.

3.    Bayou Classic High Pressure 0-30psi Adjustable Regulator (Needle Valve) to control the temp to allow to go to 200° and keep it there.

4.    Stainless Steel basket to rest the Cast Iron pan on for the wood chips.

5.    Casters to wheel this sucker around if needed.

6.    60lb propane tank.

I have all of the gear now for the fun part...

Please offer any suggestions or comment, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks

I also added a bigger water pan A's smoke stack out the top as well as a"skirt" around the bottom to keep wind from blowing the flame out. Let's see a picture of that beauty!!

I also added a bigger water pan A's smoke stack out the top as well as a"skirt" around the bottom to keep wind from blowing the flame out. Let's see a picture of that beauty!!
I have decided to nix the Smoke Daddy.  Going to use the AMNPS 5x8 and 12" tube instead.  I have just read too many good things about the AMNPS to not use it.  

Question to you propane experts;  Now that I have the Bayou Classic High Pressure 0-30psi Adjustable Regulator (Needle Valve),  Do I need to change the burner also.  That thing looks pretty flimsy?  Should I get something else, who has done this?  Got Pics?

I just ordered the top vent chimney from Master Forge and I also got some other things up my sleeve that I'll have to show in Pics once I get them finished...

BTW, this place rocks!!!

Thanks Chop!

I love my smoker,I've had the fire issue before. I started using less chips,just need to refill more often. But after seeing these mods,I have a project for tomorrow when my weekend starts.just hoping the wife doesn't have a long honeydo list.

I have decided to nix the Smoke Daddy.  Going to use the AMNPS 5x8 and 12" tube instead.  I have just read too many good things about the AMNPS to not use it.  

Question to you propane experts;  Now that I have the Bayou Classic High Pressure 0-30psi Adjustable Regulator (Needle Valve),  Do I need to change the burner also.  That thing looks pretty flimsy?  Should I get something else, who has done this?  Got Pics?

I just ordered the top vent chimney from Master Forge and I also got some other things up my sleeve that I'll have to show in Pics once I get them finished...

BTW, this place rocks!!!

Thanks Chop!
I have an XL, I use the tubes.... I can't really get the amnps to stay lit unless I leave the burner completely off. No change of the burner, I have a needle valve and can go from insanely low (as long as there is no wind, I really need to build a shield, I have a redneck fix right now) to an absolute inferno.

this is for the masterbuilt xl propane smoker... if you converted it electric and put a rotisserie in it, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I did think about putting a controller plus a heating element in it that is removable just to have the option and possibly get more consistent lower temps. I decided to go needle valve instead, but the option is still there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky