Masterbilt 30" Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sneakyben

Original poster
Jun 12, 2023
Hello. I'm looking for help figuring out why I get the Error message on my digital smoker? Usually after unplugging for 10 seconds it works correctly. This time it still gives the error as soon as I hit the power button but does not reset? I have have it since October, and really like smoking food, but now my patents is wearing thin. It has done this since the 2nd or 3rd time I've used it. I have probably used it 12-14 times. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. The electronics of the MES is a weak point for sure. Many of us have jumped ship and went the Auber PID route and have put the problems to rest. The slight conversion makes it an excellent smoker. Our main guy tallbm tallbm will probably be by shortly, hang tight.

Reactions: tallbm
Welcome to the forum. The electronics of the MES is a weak point for sure. Many of us have jumped ship and went the Auber PID route and have put the problems to rest. The slight conversion makes it an excellent smoker. Our main guy tallbm tallbm will probably be by shortly, hang tight.
Thank you guys. I went with the Masterbilt 1st to be sure I'd actually use a smoker. This one has been hit and miss so my experience has not been the best. The food is very good... when it works correctly, and in an efficient way. CouId it be that I'm plugging into a ground fault outlet? I think that's what its called. will look up what an Auber PD is later on. Again, thanks for the help.

Thank you guys. I went with the Masterbilt 1st to be sure I'd actually use a smoker. This one has been hit and miss so my experience has not been the best. The food is very good... when it works correctly, and in an efficient way. CouId it be that I'm plugging into a ground fault outlet? I think that's what its called. will look up what an Auber PD is later on. Again, thanks for the help.
Hi there and welcome!

From what I read that error has to do with temp probes (thermometers) in your smoker. This is not a common problem.
It usually happens in cold weather environments and people simply heat up the inside of the smoker with a hair dryer OR they hold a lighter to the temp probe to heat it up.

If you are located in the USA then it is not a cold weather problem this time of the year.

If not cold weather related then your temp probe(s) or any of the electronics along the way from the bottom circuit board to the top controller could have an issue.

At this point I can suggest a fool proof option that cost a little money to get a PID controller (about $150), but costs less than a new smoker, and will mean cutting 4 wire ends and then splicing with 2 wire nuts to make 2 new wires.

Doing the simple rewire and using a PID controller will turn this smoker into something 25x better than it was or anything Masterbuilt makes brand new. It will basically be better than anything under $1,000.
Also you will be very close to keeping this thing running in the future through anything short of it being hit by a car :D

A number of us guys have done this with our MES smokers and I believe every single one of us would never go back. Hell I think every single one of us wonders why we didn't do it sooner hahaha.

You can still be up and going and better than ever. Ask all the questions you have and we can get you there if you are interested :D

Here's a detailed write up on the simple rewire of an MES smoker to use a PID controller:

Hi there and welcome!

From what I read that error has to do with temp probes (thermometers) in your smoker. This is not a common problem.
It usually happens in cold weather environments and people simply heat up the inside of the smoker with a hair dryer OR they hold a lighter to the temp probe to heat it up.

If you are located in the USA then it is not a cold weather problem this time of the year.

If not cold weather related then your temp probe(s) or any of the electronics along the way from the bottom circuit board to the top controller could have an issue.

At this point I can suggest a fool proof option that cost a little money to get a PID controller (about $150), but costs less than a new smoker, and will mean cutting 4 wire ends and then splicing with 2 wire nuts to make 2 new wires.

Doing the simple rewire and using a PID controller will turn this smoker into something 25x better than it was or anything Masterbuilt makes brand new. It will basically be better than anything under $1,000.
Also you will be very close to keeping this thing running in the future through anything short of it being hit by a car :D

A number of us guys have done this with our MES smokers and I believe every single one of us would never go back. Hell I think every single one of us wonders why we didn't do it sooner hahaha.

You can still be up and going and better than ever. Ask all the questions you have and we can get you there if you are interested :D

Here's a detailed write up on the simple rewire of an MES smoker to use a PID controller:
Thank you sir! I am in TN and early Sunday was mid 40's. That may be the issue snice it has been in the colder months that I have been using it. Thanks for the info! I will look into the other controller also.

Thank you sir! I am in TN and early Sunday was mid 40's. That may be the issue snice it has been in the colder months that I have been using it. Thanks for the info! I will look into the other controller also.
I think the temp has to be colder than that but not sure. I any case its an easy thing to check by warming up the temp probe and then attempting to to turn on the smoker.
And yeah, should the time come that you get curious about a PID controller let us know :D

Reactions: sneakyben
I think the temp has to be colder than that but not sure.
Agrred.I've operated my MES in MUCH colder temps.Never had any issues with temps above freezing.

One thing I would suggest is taking a look at the built in probe on the back wall.If its truly mucked up this can cause error issues.A quick clean of it may be all you need to do.

Agrred.I've operated my MES in MUCH colder temps.Never had any issues with temps above freezing.

One thing I would suggest is taking a look at the built in probe on the back wall.If its truly mucked up this can cause error issues.A quick clean of it may be all you need to do.
Good point to simply examine it. If it looks all messed up, well problem identified :D

Reactions: sneakyben
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky