Master built and smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randy k

Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Hi gang,

I've had my Master built for a couple of months now, and so far it's been pretty rewarding.

I added a door gasket, electronic thermometer, and cast iron skillet.

However, I tried to smoke my first sausage yesterday and I just couldn't get enough smoke at 160-165 degrees what am I not doing?

This is how I set it up:

Centered 3 racks between the vent, and the bottom of the top door (because I get the best heat, consistency there).

I didn't hand the sausages because the smoking area is way to small to hang (I think).

Started at 130 for 20 min. to dry, then brought the heat up (in two stages) to my target 160-165.

I usually put chips down, and cover with sawdust, and that's how I started. I just wasn't getting enough smoke so I used just sawdust, I still didn't get enough smoke. Got to a point I closed the top vent, and it help a little (I guess) but not enough.

Needless to say the sausages came out on the dry side.

Thanks.

Join most of us MES owners, and get yourself an AMNPS.

Turn your smoking into the sit back & relax pleasure it should be.

I wouldn't want to Smoke without mine.

Go to the bottom of this or any other page & click on the Business card that says "A-Maze-N-Smoker".

Bear

Did you put the sausages in a cold water bath immediately after you pulled them for a while?  There was a post here somewhere stepping through sausage smoking that I followed that ended with a water bath.  Ours were really good

Thanks Bear, I did order two of the smoking tubes, and pallets.

It was driving me nuts!

I also realized how small the smoker really is, your really limited to the predrilled areas.

Randy

Thanks Kfons, Yes after the water bath, it ended up back in the smoker for the Blooming process.

After investing in the meat grinder, and a counter full of spices I'll be smoking lots more sausages.

I've been thinking about building a plywood smoker, tall enough to generate the smoke, and not have the heat build up so much.

Bottom line is I need more space between the fire box, and the smoking area.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky