Maple -whiskey injected smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

talox

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
West Simsbury, Ct.
Just finished curing 2. Boneless shoulders that I’m turning into hams. I decided to add a little extra flavor so my plan is to inject both hams with a maple- whiskey injection. After injecting I’ll be letting the hams rest overnight so the flavors have a chance to permeate the meat.

Attachments

• B76E76B2-61D5-40CC-A237-7B93B3BF24F7.jpeg
    B76E76B2-61D5-40CC-A237-7B93B3BF24F7.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 26
Let us know how it works. I’ve never had much luck at all with either maple or bourbon. They don’t seem to survive the process.
Will do, and should know in 6 hours as the hams are in the Kamado joe. I wouldn't expect the flavors to survive the curing process, but I am hoping the after cure injection adds subtle flavor to the finished product.

for the injection of the 2 hams I used a cinnamon stick, 1/2 cup whiskey, 1/2 cup real maple syrup and a 1/2 cup butter

The hams turned good. No flavor from the after cure injection could be discerned. Though the hams were noticeably moister and sweeter than others I had made. I suppose this could be the injection or the amephos.

Attachments

• F6D6192C-C719-490B-98F5-F5B1C4C9339E.jpeg
    F6D6192C-C719-490B-98F5-F5B1C4C9339E.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 12DAAB6E-B81A-41E5-A382-A0D8082F67C3.jpeg
    12DAAB6E-B81A-41E5-A382-A0D8082F67C3.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 22
They look phenomenal! I never have luck with injection for flavor, I’ve read it’s because only helps to retain moisture and the marinade part only affects a millimeter or so around the injection point. But some have a lot of success. Either way beautiful hams!

Reactions: talox
Looks like those hams came out perfect, nice work! I've tried injecting concentrated maple extract into Canadian bacon I've cured and smoked, could never really taste it. RAY

The hams look great.
I’ve tried with no success really with flavor injection, msg can help, but it still is nothing like commercial products where they use different chemicals to bring the flavor. Big difference from them to us.

The hams look great.
I’ve tried with no success really with flavor injection, msg can help, but it still is nothing like commercial products where they use different chemicals to bring the flavor. Big difference from them to us.
Yea i'd rather stay away from the adding chemicals to enhance the flavor, probably the main reason i do this to have a little control over what we eat.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky