Making your own lump charcoal? Would galvanized metal hurt it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
So I'd imagine I'm not the only one here that has looked into or even done it, make your own lump charcoal. Reason i wanna try this is, 1. Price, good lump is average $1 per lb and that leads into the second reason 2. Quality control, I've experienced along with the stories of others finding other stuff in the store bought bags( rocks, concrete, cider blocks, pallet parts) and 3. Its the type of person I am... its not the end result that makes me happy, its the experience and ability to say i did it!

My question is would using a galvanized metal can for the inner can be bad or since its "burning off" and cooling down, wouldn't hurt the charcoal? I know galvanized metal heated up can have toxicity to it, to breath in and cook on, that's why I wonder about this

All and any suggestions and advice would be great!

I wouldn't use galvanized for any food related high heat applications. At low temps, not so much an issue. Just my feeling on it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I wouldn't use galvanized either. I cut a galvanized pipe with a torch, there was some pretty colors coming from that pipe and alot of nasty smoke.

Reactions: DougE and TNJAKE
I wouldn't use galvanized either. I cut a galvanized pipe with a torch, there was some pretty colors coming from that pipe and alot of nasty smoke.
I've cut and welded it too and held my breath while I had the heat on it. The fumes will make you sicker than a dog.

Not something I'd do either. The nastiness will forever live in those coals
Yeah that's what I was afraid of... I'm having a hard time finding a can/container that isnt galvanized, that'll fit into a 50 gallon barrel. What i really need is a 30 gallon barrel but it seems those are unheard of, so I'm trying to have alternatives

I'm having a hard time finding a can/container that isnt galvanized,
Search for " cold rolled " bucket or container . Some 5 gallon industrial buckets are cold rolled steel .

Make your own ? Lowes and Home depot sell sheet steel and expanded metal .

Been sick from welding galvanized metals on buildings . You don't want that .

Reactions: smokinq13
Do a “dry run” with an empty container and see if the galvanizing burns off. If fire is hot enough it should be removed and then should be safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky