Making my first ham..Need Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tiggs, good luck on your first ham and your first Webber Kettle! Awesome stuff!

Also, I’m sorry if I’m kinda hijacking this thread. After you guys pointed out nitrite degredation, I did a lot of research on it. And, of course, you guys are 100% correct. It’s also overwhelming how many internet/cookbook recipes get it wrong. But, I still have a question, and I hope it doesn’t come across wrong. Why does my pastrami come out so good? I’ve been adding PP#1 with my salts and sugars and bring it to a boil for years. I certainly know now (thanks to you guys) that it is wrong and I understand why it’s wrong. But still, why do my hams and pastrami come out so good?

Thanks,
Mike

Pastrami might look and taste good but you can't see that the effectiveness of the bacteria fighting qualities of the curing salt has diminished I would guess.
Kinda like playing Russian roulette.

Reactions: Lakeside Smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky