making jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup! I do! The water serves as a temperature control and does not add to the moisture of meat in the smoker; any type of meat. If you get your jerky too hot it will quickly become inedible! And, honestly, I have not tried it without water. Maybe someone has and has had good results. I will be following the other answers as well!
Cheers!
Monty

When making jerky we (my boys & I) use very lean meat so you don't have any fat dripping into the waterpan that could cause a flare-up. We don't use any water in the pan because we're not generating a lot of heat. We only use 4 to 5 charcoal briquettes at a time, just enough to place the smoke wood on top of. That way we get a light amount of smoke with the least amount of heat. Afterall you're only trying to dry jerky, not cook it.

I don't think that water in the pan really adds any moisture to the meat so using water or not shouldn't influence the final product (as far as I know), but then we've never used water.

Looks like I might try waterless the next time I use my ECB. I have GOSM on the way and it will be interesting to open up a whole new round of experimentation! This could be fun!
Thanks, Bob!
Cheers!
Monty

You can do the same in your GOSM. No propane fire, just a few charcoal briquettes and some smoke wood in the smoke box. :D

Thanks, Bob!
When the opportunity presents itself I will give it a shot!
Cheers!
Monty

Hey Bob, how many is a "few"? I was thinking of doing this very thing by placing 4-5 pieces of lump charcoal in the wood chip/chunk box.

thanks for the quick response guys.

I'm just about to put some on and I think I will try it without water.

ok here is what i've got

my smoker;

smoker at 190degrees;
jerky at 3 hours;
finished jerky after 4 hours;

I personally don't eat jerky but my two son's do.

I used a teryaki & sesame oil marinade on one small beef round steak, no water in the pan, 190degrees for 4 hours.

Looks good and my wife says it's good, "so it must be true".

My first try with my NEW Brinkmann All In One (converted to nat gas) was terrible. I now know why I got a $180 smoker for $89.99. The temp gage is way off, the holes for the holding brackets are hap hazard ( not level or square) and the lid has a poor fit. I have had one before that became damaged, and it was great, and I converted it to natural gas. The concept of this product is good, however their customer service is non existent. I tried for 3 wks to call in, I even tried the local number on my nickel. E-mail is answered but its generic at best.
Sorry for the rant
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky