Making Jeff's Rib Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The fine cornmeal sounds interesting, after all they mix 3% Cornstarch into 10X Powdered Sugar to keep it from clumping. If all I have is Brown Sugar, I dry it at 200*F as stated above but I switched over to Turbinado, aka Sugar in the Raw, a year ago and have not looked back. No clumps, no burning and good flavor on the meat...JJ
So you're using turbinado as a replacement for brown sugar?  All I've ever used turbinado for was my ginger ale.  Do you still get enough of the molasses flavor?

Turbinado or Demerera is unrefined and "healthier" if there is such a thing.... The flavor is better and subtle also....  Also Piloncillo is a great sugar to use...  

What is this rub you speak of and how do I get to try it?

-Nick
Nick---have you signed up for Jeff's E-Course?  Jeff mentions it there and the newsletters.  You can purchase it thru the website or with Jeff's books.  Hope that helps!

Here's a couple comments for some of the above.

I use a flour sifter to mix my ingredients in the rub.  Then a mortar and pestle to break up the clumps and back through the sifter.  Takes a little more time, but gives you a very even texture when finished.  One note, good sea salt and coarse grind pepper will not go through my sifter.  Those ingredients are very dry, so I just dump them in.

I also always make a double batch and then keep it in an air tight container in the freezer.  Good for as long as I have ever stored it.  To keep it dry, I use the silicon packs that come in shoes and other things.  You can dry them out in the oven and then just drop them into the container.  Not sure you actually need 'food grade.'  This may not be the most sanitary thing, but in the end, the rub is going on raw pork and into a bbq.  I am assuming the cooking will take care of any problems, and it doesn't affect the taste at all.

If you take some cheese cloth and sew it into a little pouch and then fill it with rice before sewing it closed you should be able to avoid having loose rice in your rub.

Don't know if this might work but vacuum sealing your spice rubs sounds logical.  Removes air and moisture is contained in air.

On the clumping issue, here in Northern Nevada where there is little to no humidity, I put the excess brown sugar and Jeff's rub in mason jars and use the widemouth sealer with my Foodsaver. I always have had soft brown sugar when I open up the jars.

Before I purchase this could someone tell me if any alcoholic beverages are use in the making of this.

Thank you in advance

Randy

Before I purchase this could someone tell me if any alcoholic beverages are use in the making of this.

Thank you in advance

Randy
Randy, morning and welcome to the forum....

Please take a moment and stop into " [color= rgb(146, 144, 139)]/[/color][color= rgb(128, 0, 0)]Roll Call[/color][color= rgb(146, 144, 139)]/[/color]   " and introduce yourself and get a proper welcome from our members.... Also, if you would note your location in your profile, it will help in the future when answering questions about smokin'...   elevation, humidity etc....    

We're glad you stopped in and joined our group...    Enjoy the long smokey ride....     Dave

I use turbinado in Jeffs rub as well as other rubs I make. Brown sugar is used in dishes like Dutch's beans etc. where it gets dissolved. I use a few other spices added to Jeff's base recipe to suit my personal tastes. Buying spices is one of my vices!
devil.gif
I buy way more than I need and wind up giving much of it away to friends so it gets used up. The Spice House web site is something I need to stay away from they have way too much good stuff and way to many pre mixed blends to try!
439.gif

I made Jeffs rub this weekend to use for this recipe from him for my Easter ham:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/march-24-2016-double-smoked-spiral-sliced-ham

Here is what it looked like after 3 hours of smoking at 240 degrees:

and I don't know what I did wrong, but it was really spicy and not too sweet at all. It really frustrated me because I feel like I let my family down on a HUGE dinner holiday
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I thought you could just make the rub, coat any type of pork with something to make the rub stick (honey, yellow mustard, etc) and then coat the pork with it and throw it in the smoker. It just didn't work for me. Maybe it is because I didn't use apple wood and used a Texas blend of pellets...I dunno but I am trying my darnedest not to blame the rub (because of all the great compliments on here about the rub).

If someone who has the rub wants to PM me so we can compare rub recipes maybe to ensure I have the correct recipe with the correct measurements, that may help?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky