Making Garlic & Herb Infused Olive Oil And Pepper Vinegar: Full Tutorial W/ Lotsa Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very nice job Robert.

Thank you Steve!! This one tested the dexterity and endurance of some old, mangled, crippled-up fingers, that's for sure. Now...where are some pics of the vinegar you've been doing? What you and Joe xray xray have done put mine to shame and I bet folks would love to see what's you've done to get some other ideas.

Robert

Thank you Steve!! This one tested the dexterity and endurance of some old, mangled, crippled-up fingers, that's for sure. Now...where are some pics of the vinegar you've been doing? What you and Joe xray xray have done put mine to shame and I bet folks would love to see what's you've done to get some other ideas.

Robert

I plan on doing some this weekend. I have an idea.........:emoji_wink:

Robert

The stuff I’ve made has been posted in earlier threads. I haven’t made anymore yet since I got 3 bottles out of my potted pepper plants. I’m eagerly awaiting your bottle. My only plan is to try habaneros next but that will be after the holidays...it’s gonna get crazy here soon.

Robert great job on that post,I saved the bottle link,I think I have a case of 8 oz. bottles left.

Give it a run Richie. It's really easy to do and the stuff is great to have around. We just love it!!

Robert

Bookmarked, really nice job all around on this one buddy!

Thank you John. Very much appreciate the kind words. You need to get a bunch of stuff going before something silly happens in your life....like somebody offering you a position of employment :emoji_laughing:

Work gets in the way of life,
Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
WOW, what a great tutorial & thank you for taking the time to write this up. Now all you need is your own labels for the bottles!

Thank you Al. Once again, coming from you sir, that's a very high honor. I thought about labels but they are a pain. I used to make them and put them on beer when I bottled it. Problem is getting the friggin labels off when you're ready to bottle the next hatch.. Tracy is going to make these cute little cards with the appropriate notes that will hang around the neck of the bottles with a rubber band thingy. That should get the point across without the hassles of dealing with the labels.

BTDT,
Robert

Nicely done Sir. Great detail and having the Whole Story makes for an interesting and Educational read. I am glad to have participated...JJ

Thank you Jimmy!! As I mentioned to Dave, without you, this would have never happened...but a couple of funerals might have :emoji_wink: You and Dave get full credit for this. All I did was take some pics and put your process on paper.

BTW...Taste the Browned Garlic. If not bitter, it makes a Great Crunchy Topping for Salads, Vegetables, Potatoes and try it with Melted Butter on Steaks! Just drain off the oil on Paper Towels.

This is a great idea. I sure wish I'd thought about it earlier. Do you have any idea how much garlic I've trashed making these 4 batches of oil? A whole bunch :emoji_laughing:

Time to go dig through the trash,
Robert

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you and you're more than welcome. I hope you find this helpful should you decide to go about making your own stuff. Beware though, once you do, you'll never go back so make lots....you're gonna find yourself inventing reasons to use it :emoji_wink:

Robert

What do you suppose will be the shelf life of the oil?

At this point I'd say it's going to be the same as any other olive oil you'd buy at the store...a very long time. All you've done is infuse flavor into it and purify the oil through the boiling process. Should last you quite a while. Good question though and one I hadn't thought about, probably because it won't be around long enough to worry about it :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Nicely done. Way better than store bought for sure!

Thanks Hawg and you're absolutely right. This stuff is far better than what we were paying $25 for a 375 ml bottle of. We won't be ordering from them anymore, that's for sure :emoji_astonished:

Robert

At this point I'd say it's going to be the same as any other olive oil you'd buy at the store...a very long time. All you've done is infuse flavor into it and purify the oil through the boiling process. Should last you quite a while. Good question though and one I hadn't thought about, probably because it won't be around long enough to worry about it :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Infused olive oils can go rancid quicker then other oils. Sunflower oil also works well for this. And it has a longer shelf life.

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:Great thread Robert !! This is one of the most detailed and easy to follow posts that I have ever seen on here.. I will be making these soon ! I have also decided that I need your email address so that I can just send you my pictures of future cooks and you can post them for me.. I mean, being as you have all that free time.. :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:

:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:Great thread Robert !! This is one of the most detailed and easy to follow posts that I have ever seen on here.. I will be making these soon !

All I can say is wow!! I wasn't out to set the world on fire or see my name in lights, but sure do appreciate your recognition of the effort I put into this. I just wanted to do Dave and Jimmy proud after all the guidance they provided. I promised them I'd do a very detailed, step-by-step presentation and that's what I tried to do.

I have also decided that I need your email address so that I can just send you my pictures of future cooks and you can post them for me.. I mean, being as you have all that free time.. :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_sunglasses:

No problem at all. I'm happy to post them for you as long as you understand that if it gets featured, I get the credit because I'm the one that posted it :emoji_astonished: Please email all of your future cooks to [email protected]

Some will get this, others will not,
Robert

Two things that cause Rancidity is Air and Light. Air in the bottle can't be controlled. Storing in a Dark, cool, cabinet, will go a long way toward a long shelf life. I've had opened 1/2 Gallons of EVOO last over 6 months. Can't be specific because we used it up before it went bad...JJ

Where I work we make infused oils. And the ones with olive oil are given a 12 month best buy dates. Though I've never had an opened one older then that. I have 4 bottles of basting oil left from a case that I got due to labeling defects. These are now 1.5 years old and are fine. Though this has sunflower oil. And not olive oil.

Thanks so much and you're very welcome. As stated above, I just hope you find this helpful if you decide to delve into it.

Robert
I made this last night following your steps to the letter. I let it cool and then bottled and it came out great. I used some of it this morning to cook a small piece of pork shoulder I had and it has a nice garlic flavor. This will be part of the Christmas gift I give to the guys I work with. Thanks again for the steps.

I made this last night following your steps to the letter. I let it cool and then bottled and it came out great. I used some of it this morning to cook a small piece of pork shoulder I had and it has a nice garlic flavor. This will be part of the Christmas gift I give to the guys I work with. Thanks again for the steps.

Link...thanks so much for the post. I am honored that you found this worthy and decided to give it a run. Hearing from people like you make me smile and think that the time that went into this thread was worthwhile. As I've stated in previous threads, there is no honor in this forum higher than somebody finding what you posted worthy and making it themselves. I van only hope and pray that the recipients of your gifts are as awed as the people I've shared it with.

Very humbled,
Robert

Reactions: link
Nice work Robert,
on both the cooking/bottling and the write up.
Like!

Thank you very much John. I know you're insanely busy so for you to take the time to respond means the world to me. Hoping you and yours have a great holiday!! Side note though: I so have a couple sets of oil and vinegar that are unaccounted for. If you'd like to give it a try, just let me know and I'll get them in the mail. Barring an extreme shipping cost I don't know that they'd be there by Christmas, but you'll get them eventually.

Reaching out to my good friend Chile (and anybody else that may want to try this),
Robert

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky