Making brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pool_shark_dc

Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
So I'm not sure if this is the right form or not. Made venison brats is hog casings. After I grilled them it seems like when u cut the brat it's like crumbly burger. Not like a store bought brat that doesn't crumble. Any ideas?

I wanna say 80/20 or 70/30. Don't remember if I used water. Pretty sure I did. Along with some other odds and send spices. I mixed with my hands for quite a bit .... At least I thought so

I’ve had crumbly brats before when not adding water to the mix. My buddy who does all the deer processing around here (750 a season) has me start adding a pitcher of water to every 25 pound batch. Add it slowly as it’s mixing. It really made a difference.

Could be several things that have mostly been mentioned. Mixing the salt and sugar with the meat and letting it sit overnight really helps with texture as well.

I wanna say 80/20 or 70/30. Don't remember if I used water. Pretty sure I did. Along with some other odds and send spices. I mixed with my hands for quite a bit .... At least I thought so

Here is a lot of your problem, you don't have proper records when trying something new. You didn't keep a recipe card so when it went wrong on something new or a change, you know what was different. Unfortunately, we learn the best went we trip and fall like this. ;)

You were not very clear on what you added. Did you cut deer with 80/20 beef or 70/30 beef, or did you add 20% or 30% pork fat? 20% to 30% fat added should have liquid fat squirting out. 80/20 beef cutting deer is dry for bologna and 70/30 is good for bologna but barely enough to get near sausage. For sausage I would think a 20% total fat content or slightly higher is what you want.

Added water as suggested too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky