Making a UDS in the UK. Help please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh I got ya.

(Edit) The can opener I have cuts the rim in half the from the side.

Last edited:
Farmer, he went round the outside of the lip with an angle grinder until you could see the 2 separate parts then went round hitting the seal with a hammer until it went in two. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.
Danny, I don't have a. Job at the moment (worked on production lines and in a supermarket) but I've never actually worked with metal or anything before as a job, I just like making things, I'm a tomboy haha.
Can't wait to get some chicken on there!
Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Got the grate in and my uncle made a new coal basket complete with ash pan. He made a valve from some pipe, a bolt and a disk of steel and welded that on. Didn't get any good pics sorry.
Also didn't get a chance to have a burnout but will be doing it first thing in the morning as its 10.50pm here now.
All that's left now is to attatch thermometer and a splash of paint. Question: should the tgermometer be above or below the cooking grate? It's about 30cm long and if we have it above the cooking grate, it'll be in the way of the meat (say if I put a whole chicken in the centre of the grate)
Hope you like. Will be smoking soon enough.

Got the grate in and my uncle made a new coal basket complete with ash pan. He made a valve from some pipe, a bolt and a disk of steel and welded that on. Didn't get any good pics sorry.
Also didn't get a chance to have a burnout but will be doing it first thing in the morning as its 10.50pm here now.
All that's left now is to attatch thermometer and a splash of paint. Question: should the tgermometer be above or below the cooking grate? It's about 30cm long and if we have it above the cooking grate, it'll be in the way of the meat (say if I put a whole chicken in the centre of the grate)
Hope you like. Will be smoking soon enough.
I like my thermometer to be below the grate (right below). That makes it easier to remove the grate with out tipping the grate or removing the therm. Not to mention, like you said it will be in the way of the cook.

Hi, are you useing the valves you bought from Wickes?  If so be careful as they may have plastic parts in them and if it gets too warm they'll melt.  I tried soldering too close to a similar valve and it melted the innards.  Yours may be all metal, but I'd see if they are OK to use first.

Gary, went against the Wickes valves as my uncle said they wasn't the right ones and they could seize.
Thanks again Dirtsailor

My first (sort of) attempt at smoking a chicken. I tried before with wings but it was rushed and the temperatures wasn't steady at all.
Big thanks to Danny (KC5TPY) for all the help.
Going to try pork next time.

embeded the flick.... DaveOmak

Last edited by a moderator:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky