Mailbox Mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atl1530

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Atlanta
I can see why you all use the mailbox mod. I followed Bear's Bacon (Extra Smoky) recipe today. I was cooking at a low temp for a long time. The smoker temp target was 120º. Using the A-MAZE-N Pellet Tray on a hot Ga day the elements hardly came on. The pellet tray apparently provided enough heat. When it gets colder, I want to try and smoke some cheese. Clearly, I will need to make a mailbox mod to keep the temp low.

Reactions: denny
yeah, the mailbox mod was the best thing I did, for a couple of bucks and an hour of your time you can't go wrong. I don't know if you have any fleamarkets by you but you can usually find mailboxes there for $5-$10 bucks

Reactions: denny and Atl1530
I would not want to use a new or used mailbox which is/was painted. I'd look for an aluminum mailbox with matching elbows (not galvanized).

I used this for first time last night with a tube (LIZZ Q smoker tube)inside. Worked perfect, about 5 hours of smoke.
IMG_20190804_155421184[1].jpg

Reactions: Atl1530
You will love it for cheese. Or getting that extra smoke flavor in the winter. My mailbox raises the temp in my fridge 5 degrees over ambient in the winter. It is awesome.

Just made my version for cheap. Scrap wood, and 12x8 metal from heating/cooling section in lowes. Added high temp red silicon in seams. Added legs to the box with vent holes in bottom, and screws to the Amazn tray to raise it inside. Used it for batch of vension jerky today and worked great. Nice light smoke for several hours...versus every 20 with mes chip tube.
Thanks all for the ideas and versions. More smoked cheese coming next weekend.
20191124_135049.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
looks nice, but I personally would be afraid to use a wooden box for this especially on a wooden deck, i'm probably just overly cautious but don't turn your back on it and for that matter any smoker to long

I may add metal to inside sidewalls. I dont leave un-attended. Just saves adding chips every 15-20, having heavy smoke, then almost nothing, and add more chips.... I also always have fire extinguisher next to grill just in case. The mes was my first smoker that I didnt hand make. So enjoy the 'creating' part.

I use the maze in my maibox mod and it hasn't gotten hot enough to melt the plastic flag.

Attachments

• MES Mailbox flag.jpg
    MES Mailbox flag.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky