Maiden Voyage MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Yesterday I sprung for my brand new MES 30. Hallelujah!
Assembled, placed it to the right of my pipe burner plumbed to natural gas, raised on some bricks until a stand is decided on, and did the break-in run. :D
Everything worked great, except for 6 thermometers arguing as to who was accurate. In the end an old reliable Weston Industrial, and the MES were decided to be worthy of belief. They ran tightly together. *

In the afternoon I got out 4 salmon chunks Caught in the Freezers of Costco, for the Maiden Voyage. Later, I made up some dry brine, buried the Salmon, snapped on the lid, and into the refrigerator.
I couldn't stand it, so I went out and tried out the MES at 200 degrees with some chips. As it stands, it calls for 1/4 cup of chips per loader. Pasha, I could throw some to the wolves...
I just wanted to see some smoke, and to play with the new toy.

So after coffee about mid morning, I got out the cured Salmon, rinsed it, and set it aside to dry a bit. Of course, the wife had to mention I'd left my 'fish' setting out.
I explained it was a part of the process, it had to form a pellicle. No doubt that was confusing and met with silence. It needs to dry, I said. That she understood.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I started up the MES so it could get warm and stabilize. Ah, the game was afoot!

Into hot box went the rack of Salmon chunks. TBS, thin blue smoke and oven-like heat flashed at me as the door swung wide. I've never known TBS before. Interesting stuff, hard to guage.
I quickly removed two unused racks, leaving the bottom and putting the payload in the second rack holder. Buttoned it up and checked the timer of the MES. Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!

At 200 degrees, there didn't seem to be much 'On' time. But then, my MES only has a 2 degree differential. At 275 during the break in, I noted the element came on at 273, and when the temperature rose it cycled off at 275.
The coast was down to 269-270 lowering, where it turned and headed back up gently. As the temperature hit 275, the control turned off but coasted upwards to 287-290, which is not any problem. Think of it as massaging the smokey goodness into the meat in the smoker. :rolleyes:
Electric heat is like that, even when the power stops, there is heat rising from the elements center in an encased element. The impressive part to me is the tight control of 2 degrees. I hope all continues as it is.
But I don't smoke Salmon at oven temperatures...
I want a nice steady flow of smoke at a lot lower temperatures.

I found a good reason why I was planning adding a 'Mailbox Mod' of some sort. In order to do really controlled smoking, both the box and it's temperature needs controlled, as well as the smoke generation. Duh! I get it now. :eek::D Even a steady drip of water can penetrate rock.:confused:

But which one? Well, to my way of thinking, the Smoker Box is controlled. It maintains a set temperature. Great! the meat end product is cooking away.
Now, I need a way to control the woods smoke rate. (Gasification) Beyond just lighting it off in a separate container. I need the Sous Vide of smoke production.
Over thinking it it? Probably. I tend to do that anyway. It's just my nature.

But imagine... precision smoke generation and induction into your smoker full of meat. You set the cooking temperature like usual.
Then you set your smoke generator to your desired smoke rate. TBS? No problem! More smoke? No problem, just turn it up a smidgen. Because you can.
It's independent of the heating element cycling. Which is the Achilles heal of my MES. That element maintaining the internal temperature is doing next to nothing for the actual level of smoke generation.
But move the smoke production to a separate control, now it's cookin with smoke. Anybody know of any Gasification chambers around here? Or working on a tight smoke generator that can make smoke in finely controlled amounts? :confused:

Anyway, back to the Salmon of my day....
1st-Smoke-in-MES-30-1.jpg

Uhh, I, um, tasted, half of the middle one away. :oops:
But it sure is good!:)

Can anybody tell me why it has freckles?

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new smoker and the fine plate of Salmon. I've seen the freckles before but cannot give an answer to what causes them.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
Delicious looking salmon. I have the MES 40. The issue I had was, the electric element didn't stay on long enough to keep the wood chip smoking. So I bought an A-Maze-N pellet tray. Fill it up with pellets, light her up and place it in the bottom of the MES. Walk away, and come back when your BBQ is done.

Reactions: SonnyE
Congratulations on the new smoker and the fine plate of Salmon. I've seen the freckles before but cannot give an answer to what causes them.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank You Chris! I was wondering if it might be some sort of condensation. But i'm too new and too dumb to know.

Great looking salmon!
Nicely done!
Al

Thank You Al! I'm apt to be bendin your ear about Mods. I knew I'd need one to "cold smoke" Salmon.
I just haven't pick my course yet.

Delicious looking salmon. I have the MES 40. The issue I had was, the electric element didn't stay on long enough to keep the wood chip smoking. So I bought an A-Maze-N pellet tray. Fill it up with pellets, light her up and place it in the bottom of the MES. Walk away, and come back when your BBQ is done.

Thank You Hap! That is exactly the results I'm having, not enough on time for the main element to burn the chips consistently. So I need a change in order to do lower temperature smoking.

I bet these MES smokers can do a bigger chunk of meat great, like a brisket. But for what I'd like to do, I'm going to need a Mod.
Otherwise, Love the new MES!

download.jpeg

You can get one of these. They'll get you 10 to 12 hours of smoke, and you can use it for cold smoking too. I have used mine with wood chips instead of pellets before and it does work that way, just doesn't burn as long.

That's good looking salmon, Sonny. Well done.
Now.....your therms. What kind are they? Are they oven therms or remote, probe type therms? If they are, have you boil tested them for accuracy? Just because one of them agreed with the MES doesn't mean it was accurate. MES therms are notoriously INACCURATE. Don't trust it, test it. If you don't have a digital remote therm, you should think about getting one--there are some very inexpensive, but good ones out there.
As for the AMNPS, you can see by hap's pic that he has lit both ends. That will give you double the smoke for those cooks when you want more smoke. My vote is definitely for the AMNPS and mailbox mod. It's simplicity in itself. Light it and you get TBS. I wouldn't be spending more money on a fancy smoke producer.
Gary

Reactions: SonnyE and hap12
I agree with Gary, the MES probes are probably not accurae. I use one of these remote thermometers. I has two probes, one for the food, and one for the smoker. Real handy to have.
15182851590641845789298.jpg

That's good looking salmon, Sonny. Well done.
Now.....your therms. What kind are they? Are they oven therms or remote, probe type therms? If they are, have you boil tested them for accuracy? Just because one of them agreed with the MES doesn't mean it was accurate. MES therms are notoriously INACCURATE. Don't trust it, test it. If you don't have a digital remote therm, you should think about getting one--there are some very inexpensive, but good ones out there.
As for the AMNPS, you can see by hap's pic that he has lit both ends. That will give you double the smoke for those cooks when you want more smoke. My vote is definitely for the AMNPS and mailbox mod. It's simplicity in itself. Light it and you get TBS. I wouldn't be spending more money on a fancy smoke producer.
Gary

Thank You Gary!
LOL! My therms are all over the map, my Friend. Two have remote probes, one a single probe, the other dual probes. I recently tested the Dual probe which is the newest one. It tested pretty good with the Ice water to Boiling water test. It's of such a high quality, it only reads in C. Come to think of it, the Country of Origin begins with C, also. :rolleyes: (Rather telling..)
The others? Who knows? I didn't want to stop and test them. :confused:
Weston.jpg Taylor-Kitchen-Thermometer.jpg Masterbuilt-Panel.jpg

LOL! I'm a lot more easy goin than many. I use to split little red hairs with certified and tested thermo wells, and test equipment. So I do understand about tolerances and inaccuracies. But I won't spend hundreds of dollars for a PID type control for something to eat. It's not that important to me, especially at my age. ;)
But I promise, I'll test them before I use them again.:)

I agree with Gary, the MES probes are probably not accurae. I use one of these remote thermometers. I has two probes, one for the food, and one for the smoker. Real handy to have.View attachment 353364

Well, it would not surprise me, Hap, to find inaccuracies. But I was happy about the consistency of the On-Off cycle of the Masterbuilt controller. It was ticking like a clock and not a degree waver. So once I learn if it is close, or how far off it actually is so I can compensate +/-.
I was really surprised that the Weston pipe thermometer (Analog) kicked butt on the digital units. I'll test them so I can be more assured my test instruments are telling the truth.
The unbranded silver Dual Probe BBQ thermometer was tested. But only with Ice Water and Boiling Water. Which is crude, but the best most of us can do.

OK you two. You got me to run a test. So suffer through the results. :p
Fire and Ice. But in reverse order...

The test bed. Ice water.
1-Ice-and-set-up.jpg
Small Analog Meat Poker (just for reference)
2-Small-Analog.jpg
Small Digital
3-Small-Digital.jpg
Weston Alalog (in ice water)
4-Weston-Analog.jpg

Taylor Single Probe (in ice water
5-Taylor-Single-Probe.jpg
The Boil Begins...
6-The-Boil-Begins.jpg
Weston at boil.
8-Weston-at-Boiling.jpg
Taylor at boil
9-Taylor-at-Boil.jpg
Dual Probe at boil.
10-Dual-Probe-BBQ-at-Boil.jpg (208.4* F)

I know, it's like Good Grief! :eek:
OK, I suppose next would be to see how the MES controls and read-out fairs with some of the thermometers. (Since the MES wouldn't fit in the pan...)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky