Maiden Fattie Voyage ("Philly" Fattie)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MetalHeadMeatEater

Original poster
Aug 22, 2018
Austin, Texas
After reading all the great posts on here, and some great guidance from gmc2003's 2 part posts, I figured trying something new would fit Super Bowl Sunday perfectly. And as it turned out, it gave us the perfect excuse to turn the game off at the end of the 2nd =) Anyway I figured that a Philly "cheesesteak" fattie would be a fun first stab.

Started with a 80/20 ground beef roll, and laid down an overlapping first layer of provolone slices.

I saw the idea of making some of the filling spreadable from another fellow who posted a similar fattie on here in the last few months, so I borrowed it. Diced up a yellow onion, a small green bellpepper, and a jalapeno for some kick. I sweat the veggies in a pan briefly, then whipped them into some cream cheese with a food processor, and spread the mixture out evenly over where I laid the provolone slices down, and got it rolled.

rolled up, and tightly wrapped, back in the fridge until I was done with the bacon weave, then put it's bacon jacket on and fridged over night.

Ran it at 250deg for about 3.5-4 hours, and came off looking like a log of meat heaven. Tasted just as good.

I have a couple things I'll want to do different on the filling next time, but all in all really turned out great, and was a big hit. As always thanks for the content shared on here, and the help!

-Andrew

Hold on, the guy who just did this can roll the fatties and I can't...<I guess being born in the late 80's left out some vital knowledge related to the 60's and 70's I needed! ;) >

Looks great!

Well for some one who doesn't know what they were you sure beat me on making one. Mine are sort of flopped together and I call it a day ;)

Maiden voyage looks like a complete success. Haven't made a fatty in many years. Got plans for putting one together tomorrow and do it along with Dino balls. I have never done the weave, I've just always wrapped. May try, with any luck it will look as nice as yours. Will see if picture worthy.

Maiden voyage looks like a complete success. Haven't made a fatty in many years. Got plans for putting one together tomorrow and do it along with Dino balls. I have never done the weave, I've just always wrapped. May try, with any luck it will look as nice as yours. Will see if picture worthy.

When you do the weave, run a rolling pin over it before wrapping. Helps get it nice and smoothed down :)

Reactions: Winterrider
I mostly did the weave because I was worried about a blowout with such an already soft filling, but it really stuck to the roll nicely and added an enjoyable "skin" to it. That said, i do think next time I might try 2, and do one without a woven wrap, and subbing ground beef with ground pork. I'm excited because it seems like with something like this, the possibilities are endless!

Man that's a fantastic looking fatty. Nicely Done.

Point for sure.
Chris

Put the Dino Balls together yesterday
20190210_152522.jpg
Put the fatty together this morning ( with my 1st time weave )
20190211_094616.jpg 20190211_101013.jpg
Seasoned both with Jeff's rub.
Lumberjack Competition Blend (cherry,oak,hickory)
Pulled @ 165°
Tossed under broiler for a bit to Crispin bacon
20190211_155953.jpg 20190211_160650.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky