Magnets on the fire box??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
So I'm wanting to mount a tube on the air intake side of the side fire box to make my own damper (keeping the firebox's damper wide open, and adjusting temperare with the damper on the external tube....I'll post a drawing when I get a chance). I'd like this to fit on my chargriller pro, but more importantly, I want it to fit on my friend's similar brand smoker; all without mounting holes needing to be drilled. So I'm thinking about putting 3 adjustable "feet" with magnets on the end of the tube, to mount to the smoker. Many moons ago when I worked for a bullet company, we used cobalt magnets for high temp jobs; but I recall them being pricey (which aint my bag). Anyone have first hand knowledge about magnets in a high temp environment?

Much thanks,

I use AlNiCo I believe...for security system apps- wide gap contacts. I'll toss one on my firebox next smoke. They will hold my linesmans pliers no problem... like 12 Oz. steel. Gotta yank 'em off.

BTW..I can get those suckers in .375 diameter. You could probably swallow that and pull it back out with another one...thru your skin!
eek.gif

If you have any old hard disk drives lying around take one apart and remove the magnets within. I don't know how well they withstand heat but for strength they can't be beat. Strongest magnets I have ever seen. Be warned though, if you have two of them be VERY careful. Once they get close enough to each other they will snap together with a quickness and if your fingers are in the way.............OUCH! your going to have a blood blister.

http://www.appliedmagnettechnology.c...s/products.htm

Thanks Richtee,

Any ideas if they can be drilled? I'm going to have to run a machine screw through them to mount them to the feet. I suppose I could mount them with set screws in a blind hole.......as usual, I'm fixin' to take this too far!

Thanks for the feedback,

Why do you want a damper on the end of a tube instead of just the damper on the firebox? I could see doing it if you had no damper currently, but just another damper on a tube.......
confused.gif

Just curious.

I have a damper control system that currently uses a pushrod connected to a servo that opens and closes the stock damper. I'm trying to connect the servo directly to a damper without it melting into jelly. My though was, and it may be total garbage, an outer damper surface would be less hot than the inner damper surface, thus allowing me to mount the servo directly to the damper pivot; giving me very accurate adjustment ability. The other guys that do this use fans, but I just don't like the concept. It's perhaps the same thing, but I'm hard headed.

Umm... not easily drilled. think stainless... times 5. BUT... I can order them in a disc style, with a hole that would fit a #4 sheet metal screw if that'll work. they would be about 3 sixteens...

Hey, that might work, with a flat head machine screw, so the surface of the magnet would set flush against the box. I might order me some and experiment a bit. I recall these being pretty expensive, but it looks like a few bucks could get me started.....just hope they don't get too close to my computer.....bye bye data!

Thanks for the great suggestions,

Data killers indeed. I should stock some anyway... and I'm out. what's the part gonna weigh, and what's it's wind profile? I gotta think 3'll do the trick.

Magnets and heat are not friends. Type of magnetic material and temp being dealt with will determine how detrimental the heat is to a particular magnet. My suggestion is to select carefully.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky