Magnets on the fire box??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure about the dimensions yet. I drew it as a 3 inch tube; perhaps it should be bigger, but here's the concept (below). I ordered (5) 1/2" rare-earth magnets and the cups to mount them. They will act as the adjustable feet that will keep the tube solid agains the fire box (probably with some fire resistant rope as a gasket). Also, the servo isn't shown, but it will mount to the tube, and the gear connected directly to the damper (the round object with the 4 large holes). What do you think?

damperextend1.jpg

damperextendwire.jpg

Hmm..nice. Some questions/points:
You are using the servo for a linear drive to rotate one of the damper plates, correct? I'd wonder about corrosion/particulate build-up between the plates. And the complications of what..a worm gear drive to translate the rotational to linear?
I'll edit this reply in a few...got an idea...

And..as an afterthought...suppose you welded somewhat thermally isolated "bosses" to the fire box tops for the mags to attach to? Just some chunksof 1" square tube maybe slotted to increase surface area <heat dissipation>, then just adjust damper bottom down, like your design already appears to take into account.

Now, that's an idea. If I could come up with some kind of HVAC stack with a buttyfly vent already in it (that wasn't made of galv.), I could probably mod it to what you have above. Thanks for your insight!

I don't think galv is an issue...I just posted quite a dissertation from a PE and friends on it... temps too low to be a problem...

Oh, and you are welcome!

I just heated a rare earth type..what you ordered...to maybe 450 degrees...and KILLED it. Barely holds itself on a block of carbon steel.

What abouta collar on the fireboxes that fits inside or outside of your damper arrangement?

Boy, that's a big bummer, since I just got a confirmation on a shipment of my magnets (oh well, RE's are cool, I'll find a use for them). That presents a problem though. I really want a solution that I don't have to modify someone's rig. I suppose I could come up with some sort of spanner mount that would feed through any average sized damper. That would solve the problem of the inner damper closing on it's own. Hmmm, I'll have to sketch a bit.......

EDIT: After I posted mine, I realized that I hadn't finished reading your post, Rich. I think I was talking about what you had already mentioned. Sorry about that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky