Magical Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bregent

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 1, 2014
My kids picked up an Angus brisket from Cash & Carry on Saturday for me to smoke for Fathers Day. I asked them how big it was and they said 12lbs - it didn't have a price/weight label as they just weigh them at the register.

As I trimmed and prepped it, it seemed bigger than 12 lbs but didn't think much about it. Trimmed off about 2 lbs of fat, and 1.5 lbs of lean flat that was too thin to smoke. Threw it on the smoker at 11PM at 225F and went to bed. By 11AM it passed the probe test so I pulled it, wrapped in foil and threw into a cooler with towels.

At 4PM I got it out of the cooler to slice and serve. It felt heavy so I weighed it and it was just over 9 lbs. Adding the 3.5 lbs of trim made for a total of 12.5 lbs. I checked the receipt and it was indeed listed as 12.2 lbs - so it actually increased in weight in the smoker - a Fathers Day Miracle!

I imagine that part of the brisket was resting on the counter as it was being weighed, and estimate the original weigh was closer to 17lbs.

In any event, it was one of the best briskets I've have in a while. The meat was extremely flexible and all of the fat was soft. Even the kernel, which there was very little of, was softer than usual.

IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Looks awesome. As soon as you figure out that increased weight trick let us all know :) stretch those dollars haha

Look very good! Doing a Brisket this weekend myself. If you ever figure out how to pick up weight please let me know!!!

Looks great! Let me know if you figure out how the added weight happened, LOL.

Mike

Great bark and that brisky looks fairly uniform throughout, must be that beautiful trim job, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

Thanks for the great comments everyone! We had lots of leftovers as our friends could not make it. My son made a big batch of nachos with some chopped up point and homemade cheese sauce.

IMG_0141.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky