made some low fat chicken sausage, and please help with additives of fresh sausage!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Armyguy2004

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
hi guys, once again, i am asking for some ideas.
good news is, i made some great smoking sausages according to the recipes from the sausage bible.
chicken breast, 750g
oil emulsion, 200 g
water, 50g
salt 18g
cure 1, 2.5g
pepper, 2g
sugar 2.5g
garlic, 1tsp, didnt have fresh garlic with me.
marjoram 1g

used 26mm collagen casing, smoked for sometimes, the smoker wasn't working great, but its ok for the first time.

the problem is, i used chicken breast, and the sausage tastes a bit dry, but i didn't have much loss, and no oil pockets within, which is nice.

now, i am expecting to try fresh sausage again.
again, i will be using chicken. so i have this problem from my previous experience.

chicken fat melts at a lower temperature. therefore, i need some additives to retain the juice, instead of it running in the pan.
i am trying to eliminate pork products from the sausage, so, pork fat is out of the way. and no, i cant get any other kind of fat.
so, it's either i have something to keep the chicken fat( from added chicken skins) within,
or, i need to use the same 1:4:5 oil emulsion for the fat.

therefore, should i use 30g of milk powder for 1000g of meat (700g lean+300g skin)? or there are some other good stuff that could do the trick?
and, if i use the oil emulsion, how would it behave during pan frying?

thank you guys, this is a lot like when i was in university, asking questions to seniors. :D

Can't you use thighs?
I don't make chicken sausage very often but I use skinless thighs and only minimum visible fat. the trick is to develop a good bind while mixing. you might also try poaching them in water to set the mix and there would be less chance of fat out.

Here's a couple posts that might give you some insight to chicken sausage making.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/orange-and-ginger-sausage.242531/#post-1528217
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ausage-so-lean-yet-juicy.175870/#post-1779185

Last edited:
Reactions: Armyguy2004
Can't you use thighs?
Here's a couple posts that might give you some insight to chicken sausage making.
I don't make chicken sausage very often but I use skinless thighs and only minimum visible fat. the trick is to develop a good bind while mixing. you might also try poaching them in water to set the mix and there would be less chance of fat out.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/orange-and-ginger-sausage.242531/#post-1528217
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ausage-so-lean-yet-juicy.175870/#post-1779185
yeah, thighs are also good. sorry, the post is mainly about how i could keep the fat within, not coming out. :D

To keep fat in you want an emulsifier. I am just now experimenting with liquid lecithin, but egg white and mustard are classic emulsifiers. To keep juice in you want STPP but also think milk powder could also work.

For all my chicken sausage, and I make a lot, is chicken thighs, skin and fat included + nfdm, and I get a good bind, and excellent link sausage. If I am making breakfast sausage for links or patties, I add some of my brisket fat trimmings to get close to 70 / 30. Works great for us!!

For all my chicken sausage, and I make a lot, is chicken thighs, skin and fat included + nfdm, and I get a good bind, and excellent link sausage. If I am making breakfast sausage for links or patties, I add some of my brisket fat trimmings to get close to 70 / 30. Works great for us!!
so,30g of nfdm for 1000g of meat? Thanks.

I use chicken breasts primarily and have found a combination of a binder (carrot fiber) and cold phosphate keeps the mix plenty moist. The binder can hold plenty of liquid so add some liquid of your choice to enhance the moisture. The phosphate alters the PH balance of the meat to allow the meat to better bond to moisture.

Good luck.

Yes, also keep meat and fat cold while mixing -- above 40-42 degrees and fat begins to smear and not do right. I've done that too often. That is the magic with Sausage making -- cold cutting, cold grinding, cold mixing and stuffing -- then drying before smoking. Keep us updated!!
R

I use chicken breasts primarily and have found a combination of a binder (carrot fiber) and cold phosphate keeps the mix plenty moist. The binder can hold plenty of liquid so add some liquid of your choice to enhance the moisture. The phosphate alters the PH balance of the meat to allow the meat to better bond to moisture.

Good luck.
I don’t have carrot fiber, do you think texture vegetable protein, soy protein chunks would do the trick? Or, maybe oats?

Any binder will work. NFPM is easy to get. I like carrot fiber because it can hold a great deal of moisture. Keep in mind that the more liquid you add the more diluted the seasonings can get. Mess around with other liquids to pair with the product such as stocks, beer, etc..

Reactions: Armyguy2004
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky