Made beef back ribs for the 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I'm new to this so I still don't know exactly what's what. I saw a 2 pack at Ralphs and thought they would come out looking like those dino ribs. I was super hungry and looking so forward to these. Didn't have any pepper, so I used Lambert's Sweet Rub 'O Mine. 3 hours in the smoker and what came out had about enough meat left to maybe fill up a 2 year old. I looked at the package and noticed it said beef back ribs so I Googled and found out these weren't what I wanted lol. $7 a pound for 90% bone's pretty impressive. Even worse I had my roomies hopes up for a Fred Flintstone Bronto-Rib, they were underwhelmed to say the least ha.

I will say this, the few bites worth of meat that was there was absolutely delicious. so tender and so juicy. I didn't Google much more, but I'm assuming people like using the bones here to make stock and get the marrow out.

Reactions: kruizer
The only place that sells them around here is Costco, and they sell the wimpy ones that look like a Vulture got to them. They charge $4.50 per pound and that is a rip off at your $7 per pound they better be 3-4'' thick and look like they were cut right off Dino.

This part is kinda confusing me " 3 hours in the smoker and what came out had about enough meat left to maybe fill up a 2 year old. I looked at the package and noticed it said beef back ribs so I Googled and found out these weren't what I wanted lol. $7 a pound for 90% bone's pretty impressive. Even worse I had my roomies hopes up for a Fred Flintstone Bronto-Rib, they were underwhelmed to say the least ha". Couldn't you tell that they weren't going to be enough before you put them on the smoker?:emoji_astonished::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

The only place that sells them around here is Costco, and they sell the wimpy ones that look like a Vulture got to them. They charge $4.50 per pound and that is a rip off at your $7 per pound they better be 3-4'' thick and look like they were cut right off Dino.

This part is kinda confusing me " 3 hours in the smoker and what came out had about enough meat left to maybe fill up a 2 year old. I looked at the package and noticed it said beef back ribs so I Googled and found out these weren't what I wanted lol. $7 a pound for 90% bone's pretty impressive. Even worse I had my roomies hopes up for a Fred Flintstone Bronto-Rib, they were underwhelmed to say the least ha". Couldn't you tell that they weren't going to be enough before you put them on the smoker?:emoji_astonished::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

I knew they’d shrink but I had no idea that much. They lost like half of their size. I was expecting them to have maybe as much meat as a good spare rib.

I probed them to 201f, maybe you’re suppose to cook to a lower temp.

Hard to beat back ribs for flavor, but you need to know what to look for. They are often sold as what's left after trimming boneless rib roast, so they remove as much meat as possible. If they are trimmed very close with not a lot of meat (shiners), then they are great for stock when they are on sale. I buy them at $3/lb and use for beef and barley soup. I've seen folks here post pictures with them loaded with meat - but I can't find them locally like that.

I usually buy chuck ribs from Costco for about $4-5/lb. One rib is usually enough for one person. Plate ribs are a great option if you can find them.

Reactions: zwiller
Since you didn't mention how they were packaged I am not sure. My rule though is never by beef back ribs if they have been cryovac packaged. I only get them in the trays with cellophane over them so I can get a good look first at how much meat they have on them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky