Lump Charcoal and Wood Equation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigsyd

Fire Starter
Original poster
I have a Horizon 16 Offset Smoker. I run it using Royal Oak Lump Charcoal with Mini-Logs/Wood Chunks. I start the smoker by feeding the smoker 2 chimneys of lump. I bring it close to temp and then toss a log on top. This gives me a good heat source for approx 2+ hours or so. After the first 2 hours, I'll feed another warmed log which will produce another hour or so of heat. Of course by now, my lump is fading. But I can maintain Temps by just adding wood every few hours.

Is this a good practice for long cooks? Or, should start dumping some more Lump Charcoal on the fire along the way?

If I keep using the Logs and not lump, eventually, I'll just be wasting smoke. Also, there are times when I don't want to produce smoke anymore. At that point, should I just be switch to Lump Charcoal for the rest of the cook?

I like the convenience of just heating another log and tossing it on to keep my fire rolling along. However, if I need to start using more Lump, I can. My only issue is that I tend to lose temp by pouring some lump on the fire. This means I need to light a chimney on the side.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like wasting smoke wood but it's really the best source of heat when I'm up and running for hours. I have been searching and have not gotten any good answers on what to use for heat source outside of charcoal or to continue to use smoke wood. I guess if I want to use less smoke during the cook time, I will need to purchase butcher paper and wrap the piece of meat. Like you, the last time I tried to use charcoal as heat once I was hours in, I lost temp waiting for it to catch. It just wasn't worth the headache. Although, that was when I first got the smoker but I guess with charcoal and smoke wood prices, it's not much different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky