Lucky Chucky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texas Cookin'

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 28, 2019
Well the wife said my last smoked chuck for pulled beef was too dry. I’m trying to remedy that today. Smoking this thing in a bath of beer, beef broth, soy sauce, W Sauce. I dry brined this prime Chuck with kosher salt and black pepper.

On at 250 with the pellet blend from Sam’s club.

F50F9B14-28D2-478A-82A2-6806B0BC4FD0.jpeg

About 3 hours in. Getting some color.
DF51C57D-3416-46CA-8F50-FD9AF87BAFDB.jpeg

That’s where we are at. More to come.

Fred

Looks good. Don’t cook it to temp IT. Cook to probe tenderness. When a therm probe or skewer pushes in and out all over with almost no resistance it’s done, but not until then, temperature not withstanding. Also it won’t be dry either, most usually dry comes from under cooked, not over. Good luck.

Reactions: negolien
Ok guys I finished it up. The flavor profile was great. Unfortunately, it was a touch dry again. 🙄 I think I took the temp up too high.
9C6DF818-C8A6-4FC7-9A0C-6B40458082E5.jpeg

I will add some beef broth and make sandwiches out of it.
2B7A3195-9B9E-453C-9926-08836ACD7FCF.jpeg

Live and learn I guess

Ok guys I finished it up. The flavor profile was great. Unfortunately, it was a touch dry again. 🙄 I think I took the temp up too high.
View attachment 660441

I will add some beef broth and make sandwiches out of it.
View attachment 660442
Live and learn I guess
Nice color and sorry it was a little dry. I smoke enough chucks that I know that bears method will work as others have suggested.

Here is how I have done the last 5 and similar to the 2 on have on right now....each of these threads have times and temps to show the cooks.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-chucks-a-tale-in-pictures-and-words….318607/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-chuck-weekend.319229/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-chuck-red-curry-magic.319769/

All of the above were for pulled. If you want to slice it like yours above, I would wrap it at 155 and pull at 198-200. Allow it to rest before slicing, ie in needs to cool down to 145ish before slicing. The final critical thing is to drizzle the pan juices over the slices this will dress it with the rendered colagen and make the slices buttery juicy and then just a pinch of salt.

Reactions: Flatrate
I really appreciate all of the tips and suggestions. To tell the truth I was distracted during this cook. We had several friends over and I cooked about 10 lbs of skirt steak/fajita meat. I pulled the Chuck off the smoker at 200 internal with plans on pulling it. I put it in the oven on warm to hold it until I could get to it. It ended up being several hours before I got to it and that extra carryover is likely what led to it being overdone. At this point it was late and I decided to just slice it up instead of pulling it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky