LSG Cross Flow Technology

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveman92789

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
With having an Offset Pipe Smoker I'm always looking at new was to control air flow for even cooking temps across the grate so i can utilize all of my cooking surface. I built a convection plate which really balances out the temps inside the cooking chamber however i have noticed it to be difficult to get temps up to 275. It can be done just not so easy...

I have been looking at the LSG smokers... I can't afford one but they are very nice smokers. Their new cross flow technology has really caught my attention and its made me wonder if this concept would work effectively in a pipe smoker. I figured i would post here for those who have way more knowledge and understanding of offset construction.

I've been thinking about building a baffle for my offset that looked like the ones in the LSG just to see how it worked...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Reactions: calvinandhobbes
If i understand correctly this is the idea behind the heat flow. I'm sure the diagram isn't exact but something i just threw together real quick.....

Capture.PNG

I just had to report back on this. I have an oc pecos so I cut out the heat deflector plate & just stuck a plate in front of the opening to the fire box. Wow did it make a difference. This design has something to it & this maybe the easiest mod to make for even cook temps...
20200228_144410.jpg
20200228_144446.jpg
20200228_144553.jpg
20200228_144618.jpg

Wow that's really interesting. I just spent way too much on a baffle plate for my OK Joe and I still see a temp delta between sides. Wish I'd seen this, I would have tried it. My understanding is with cross-flow they're deflecting air from the firebox up behind the baffle, and then using the bottom portion of the baffle to induce air along the bottom of the smoker. Supposedly you can watch the air flow in the bottom and out the top while running. Pretty cool stuff

Are you still using it this way and how are you liking it? Getting too much radiant heat from the plate or does food all cook pretty even?

Last edited:
So I have made some modifications. It didn't work as well with a full chamber of meat. Hopefully the pictures attached will give you an idea but with the new design I get air flow across the top & down below. Its really helped with temp swings but still maintain tons of air flow while allowing me to utilize 100% of my cooking chamber.
20211108_114927.jpg
20211108_114935.jpg
20211108_114951.jpg
20211108_115053.jpg

So I have made some modifications. It didn't work as well with a full chamber of meat. Hopefully the pictures attached will give you an idea but with the new design I get air flow across the top & down below. Its really helped with temp swings but still maintain tons of air flow while allowing me to utilize 100% of my cooking chamber. View attachment 515772View attachment 515773View attachment 515774View attachment 515775
Nice! What happened when the chamber was full of meat? Does this new baffle still cause it to cook more from top-down?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky