Low temps on electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buddha65281

Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Hello and please be patient... I know this question has been asked a million and 1 times but my Bradley is running around 185 tonight.. Im in the process of the 3-2-1 and just coming out of the 3 phase now...

My only concern is will they be cooked at 6hrs or should I run them 20 min longer? Any thoughts or advice?

Heading out to wrap now.. will check back in 1/2hr... I have 9pm Ohio time.. Thanks!

I guess my first question would be are you SURE what your true temps are at grate level? If you are relying on the built in therm they are almost always wrong! What is the temp outside where you are in Ohio? If you are truly not able to get the temp above 185 degrees I am not sure you will be able to get the ribs done enough to be tender. I would move them to a 225 degree oven for the wrapped phase. They don’t get any smoke during this time anyway. Ribs that are 185 degrees in my experience will still be somewhat tuff.

Weedeater

Reactions: fivetricks
I'd be more worried at this point if your smoker is truly at 185f, about it being plain broken. The ribs can be done in an oven no problem, but 185f? If you can't break 270f, I'd say you have a broken unit and need to contact Bradley..!

Weedeater, Temp today was 72 but windy this evening. The temp sensor was replaced late last year and only used once winter 2017. The bottom rack meat was crispy(overcocked already).. Personally do not like this smoker...

The internal temp was never above 187 today...But I just moved the unit to the backside of the house out of the wind.. I do not have an aftermarket probe.. duh for me! :)

TomKnollRFV, as I mentioned above unit has new temp sensor and I have a new element(not installed) and as far as I know it is working properly...

I set the temp for 230 just now.. I will keep an eye on it.. if I don't feel comfortable with how they look.. what are oven directions?

Thank you all...

one thing to note, I lined each rack with Aluminum foil with not slits in it... I feel this is blocking the heat from moving properly through the cabinet.

Know it’s messier but I wouldn’t wrap the grates in foil. It keeps you from getting as much smoke on the ribs and could cause heat issues. I’m not too familiar with Bradley smokers but I would do a dry run with a external probe at grate level to check and see what your temps really are. That is when you get done of course. Let us know how the ribs turn out!

Oh and if you put them in the oven just check the temps. 195 for close to fall off the bone but still with a little bite. 200 and above fit FOTB.

Know it’s messier but I wouldn’t wrap the grates in foil. It keeps you from getting as much smoke on the ribs and could cause heat issues. I’m not too familiar with Bradley smokers but I would do a dry run with a external probe at grate level to check and see what your temps really are. That is when you get done of course. Let us know how the ribs turn out!

Oh and if you put them in the oven just check the temps. 195 for close to fall off the bone but still with a little bite. 200 and above fit FOTB.

Thank you.. just checked smoker and it is up to 215 now out of the wind...

We are having 30+ mph winds right k
Thank you.. just checked smoker and it is up to 215 now out of the wind...

We are having 30+ mph winds here right now. Not sure where you are located but if thats case then that might be your problem right there. Winds will kill it and affect your temps for sure. Hope you got some cold beer to help you through the temp stalls

Foil on the grates would definitely disrupt the free flow of air thru the smoker. I would opt for smaller tin pans that still allow for movement thru the smoker. You next investment needs to be a remote therm to place at meat level. If the bottom rack is overdone then you were trapping heat at that level because of the foil.

Weedeater

Winds are bad in this part of the country. Just blew my darn furnace out. I wouldn't wanna be smoking in this!

made me laugh..... I live on top of the ridge... 863 feet above sea level... winds come straight down my drive from the West and its rough sometimes.. lol

But I would change a thing!

thmb_20171012_110126_1507_1507820506678^.jpg

Reactions: fivetricks
I'd say having the grates lined definitely isn't helping with even heating! Good to know it seems it can build up to temp, so likely the wind indeed!

I'd do a run on a non windy day, no foil at all, figure out how it behaves and adjust accordingly.

Foil on the grates would definitely disrupt the free flow of air thru the smoker. I would opt for smaller tin pans that still allow for movement thru the smoker. You next investment needs to be a remote therm to place at meat level. If the bottom rack is overdone then you were trapping heat at that level because of the foil.

Weedeater
+1

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky