Low temp at 8 hours in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
So I put a shoulder on last night in my MES 30. At 225*. And now this morning I went out to put the thermometer in, it’s at 148 about 8 hours in. Does this seem low. It’s been so long since I’ve done a shoulder and I don’t usually foil so I don’t remember. I still have plenty of time so I’m not worried about that. Just curious

That does sound low, what thermometer are you using, the one in the MES or a stand alone? If its the MES on, get a multiprobe thermometer, the MES are very inaccurate.

I’m using a maverick. And checked the mes with the maverick. I got the MES on sale for $150 just to keep at my parents house for when I visit. I’m gonna have to order an inkbird to keep there too for box and meat temp

Disregard, you checked the Maverick against the MES therms. Have you used the smoker before?

Last edited:
Agree it does seem low. But also I don’t smoke butts at 225 ... usually do it at 250, and really could go 275 and seems to not have any effect except significantly shorter cook time.

Others here infinitely more familiar with MES than me, but I’d say the temp variation in my PB electric seems to range much lower than it does higher ... eg it spends more time and more deviation below a target temp than it does above it. Not sure if other electrics behave that way.

I think smoker temp was only at around 205*. Bit temp is up to 155 now I cranked it up a bit. Waiting for the steal may wrap but still have 8 hours before guests show up. Planning on pulling it at 203 and wrapping in foil until it’s time to pull and mix in some of Jj’s finishing sauce

Sounds about right to me. I averaged 15hrs for a butt at 275F. That said, I just ran a butt that I halved and was under 8hrs. Side bonus is 2x the bark. Gonna do them that way from now on.

Reactions: Winterrider
Sounds about right to me. I averaged 15hrs for a butt at 275F. That said, I just ran a butt that I halved and was under 8hrs. Side bonus is 2x the bark. Gonna do them that way from now on.
This is another great option.
Nothing hurt using higher heat when doing butts either.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky