LOve the Forums; but WAY, WAY, WAY TOO MANY ADS and POP-UPS.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I have never seen a forum with so many pop-ups and ads. It really is distracting when scrolling and trying o read through the posts. I get the entire ad/money thing, but this is really out of hand

Hey Jeff, maybe back off a bit or place some of the ads in a designated section or use simple links.

Already being discussed here, if interested.

I have never seen a forum with so many pop-ups and ads. It really is distracting when scrolling and trying o read through the posts. I get the entire ad/money thing, but this is really out of hand

Hey Jeff, maybe back off a bit or place some of the ads in a designated section or use simple links.
Ads are a way to help pay for the site. Alternatively you can subscribe to the site for a very low fee and get no pop ups or ads. Annual is $15. For a little over $1 a month it’s one of the best values anywhere.

Last edited:
Ads are a way to help pay for the site. Alternatively you can subscribe to the site for a very low fee and get no pop ups or ads. Annual is $15. For a little over $1 a month it’s one of the best values anywhere.
I get the ad model, I was a Marketing Director for years. But what you have here is beyond reasonable. When the ads become a nuisance and almost impossible to actually read a thread because said thread is constantly blocked by a pop-up or some other nonsense, it diminished the value and the experience of the site. Did you actually read just how many posts and complaints are on this thread. They go back 5-6-7 years. Obviously you and the staff, Jeff included, don't give a damn. If you did, you'd make changes to the site to make it better for the users.

I get the ad model, I was a Marketing Director for years. But what you have here is beyond reasonable. When the ads become a nuisance and almost impossible to actually read a thread because said thread is constantly blocked by a pop-up or some other nonsense, it diminished the value and the experience of the site. Did you actually read just how many posts and complaints are on this thread. They go back 5-6-7 years. Obviously you and the staff, Jeff included, don't give a damn. If you did, you'd make changes to the site to make it better for the users.
I’m not staff just FYI , I am a commercial and marketing manager for a large company. For me $15 is far below the market value of what I get here. I’m fairness to your comments I am unaware of how hard they make site functionality without the membership.

What Ads lol
Exactly!!
Only $15 a year!?!?!?

I assumed they were more like $100 that I am used to paying for another site.
After all that I've gained from this forum, the $100 I spent several years ago for Lifetime Premier is inconsequential. It was more to support the forum but the added bonus of not having to deal with the ads is pure money for me!!

Robert

Never know how long a forum will be around, so I have not done Lifetime, but at $15 a year, I became a member within a day or so of joining once I realized how good the forum is.

Maybe some people don't pay based on some sort of principle, but nothing is free. To each his own.

Totally agree.... it is a very small way to support Jeff and this site. IMO, SMF is the top smoking site on the web and deservedly so. I'm happy to be able to support the effort.
Yeah, I also joined bbqbrethren, but haven't even logged in there in well over a year. Just a different vibe there and a real good ole boy's club atmosphere.

I hate ads so much, I won't listen to FM radio. They all play commercials at the same time, so you can't just change stations when one plays ads. Bought a lifetime SiriusXM deal way back in 2009 that I have transferred to 2 vehicles, and I can listen on my app/computer.

Ads are for suckers lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
No matter how small the fee sometimes it's just not in some people's budget. I agree the forum is unusable if you don't pay to play and that's pretty unfair to the people who fall into that category. Also I'm sure drives away newbies who are able but not willing to pay after just a few visits to the forum......my .02 cents though

No matter how small the fee sometimes it's just not in some people's budget. I agree the forum is unusable if you don't pay to play and that's pretty unfair to the people who fall into that category. Also I'm sure drives away newbies who are able but not willing to pay after just a few visits to the forum......my .02 cents though
You are one of the big reasons I paid when you PMd me about the BellFab pit. But, here, I have to disagree. Who can afford to smoke meat but can't afford $15/MONTH?

My apologies if that is truly the case for some, but I wouldn't think so.

You are one of the big reasons I paid when you PMd me about the BellFab pit. But, here, I have to disagree. Who can afford to smoke meat but can't afford $15/MONTH?

My apologies if that is truly the case for some, but I wouldn't think so.
Maybe the same people who like to smoke meat and put gas in their car? We can't assume that just because that seems like a small amount of money for us that there aren't people making hard financial decisions to support their families instead of paying to support a bbq forum. I gladly pay because I can afford it and like you I despise ads. Site should be fixed though so others can enjoy it while not having ads block all the content

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky