Louisiana Blue Crabs (Catch, Clean, Cook)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been hand-lining for crabs using chicken since I was a child,definitely great fun for the young ones.

In an aside I wonder if gulf coast blue crabs are any different then what we get up here in New England?

Been hand-lining for crabs using chicken since I was a child,definitely great fun for the young ones.

In an aside I wonder if gulf coast blue crabs are any different then what we get up here in New England?
It is a shame they do not allow non residents to crab in RI
Richie

indaswamp indaswamp

I am assuming that was you in the video?

Great tutorial! Thanks!

Unfortunatly we dont have crabs in the Monongahela River here in Pittsburgh. . .LOL

Happy New Year my friend<

John
Nope, not me in the video. But my cousin has a camp in the marsh and I have fond memories catching crabs just the way he did. We had a weir in the back of the lease that dumped into a main bayou....man we caught crabs by the bushel there!

Keith, thanks for reminding me of something I absolutely love but cannot get any more :emoji_laughing: I grew up eating blue crabs off the Chesapeake Bay. Possibly a bit different than the ones you get but still blue crabs. Seemed as though there was a crab shack on every corner selling steamed spiced crabs...at $30 a bushel. Get a few bushels, cover the picnic table with newspaper, ice down a keg of beer, and spend all day cracking crabs. Man they were good!!

Robert

Nice.
Don't know anything about blue crab except how to eat them.
No size, gender, or possession restrictions?

When I lived in Seattle, dungeness crab was my favorite thing out of the salt water.

I can attest to the fact that blue crabs from different areas do not taste the same. On Delmarva the taste depends on whether they are from the bay side or ocean side. Ocean side has a much more iodine taste. tx smoker tx smoker you can't even by a dozen good crabs for $30 now days.

Warren

Keith, thanks for reminding me of something I absolutely love but cannot get any more :emoji_laughing: I grew up eating blue crabs off the Chesapeake Bay. Possibly a bit different than the ones you get but still blue crabs. Seemed as though there was a crab shack on every corner selling steamed spiced crabs...at $30 a bushel. Get a few bushels, cover the picnic table with newspaper, ice down a keg of beer, and spend all day cracking crabs. Man they were good!!

Robert

You’ve just described heaven.

Man that would be some fine fine eating! I haven’t had blue crabs in many years. I used to grab them at the bar and grills in Florida’s.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky