Looks like I'll be sticking with Maverick thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
The Thermo Pro I bought in April ceased to function. Transmitter not syncing with receiver. So I'm looking at another Maverick. This time a dual probe unit. It's a shame the Thermo pro didn't hold up. It worked fine the few times I used it.

That's a bummer!
I had a Maverick 732 a few years ago. I have no real complaints with that unit at all.
I use all ThermoWorks thermometers now. They are definitely built tougher. Never had to change a battery yet or recilbrate any of them.
Good luck with your new thermometer.

That's a bummer!
I had a Maverick 732 a few years ago. I have no real complaints with that unit at all.
I use all ThermoWorks thermometers now. They are definitely built tougher. Never had to change a battery yet or recilbrate any of them.
Good luck with your new thermometer.

Thanks. I was looking at the ThermoWorks as well. But decided to stick with a brand that has worked for me. The Maverick I have now has worked great since I've bought it a couple or so years ago.

Reactions: joedube70
I don't blame you at all. Find something you like and works for you... Definitely stick with it!
Of course until you need something with more options... We always need more options! :)

Reactions: Steve H
I don't blame you at all. Find something you like and works for you... Definitely stick with it!
Of course until you need something with more options... We always need more options! :)

LOL, so true. I'm a gadget guy through and through.....

Reactions: joedube70
give Thermopro customer service a call. I had one fail and they sent me a complete new unit. Received it yesterday.

It's under warranty. Call them. Go to the first pinned thread on this Meat Thermometers forum and PM a conversation to the OP. Therrmopro needs to know when their product doesn't make it 3 months when barely used and not abused.

I was gonna say the same as lamar . Worth a call if it's only a few months old , but you can still buy a new one either way . :)

I bought it new on -bay. Don't really have a receipt other then the paypal hit. I guess I could try.

If you're anything like me---Not much of a Techie, get the Maverick ET-732.
The ET-733 is a PITA getting it set. The 732 is even easy for an Old Bear!!

I have a 9 year old ET-73, and 2 ET-732s with 10 years combined service. All still working Fine.
Oh---Also an Orange Instant Thermapen.

Bear

Reactions: briggy
Reed from Thermo Pro got back to me. And they will replace the unit. I'm very happy they'll do that for me.

Good deal customer service has taken care of you.

I have the Thermoworks smoke and love it so easy to set compared to the Maverick that I use to have. (set it on top of smoker and it kinda melted) But I would recommend the smoke.

Warren

Reed from Thermo Pro got back to me. And they will replace the unit. I'm very happy they'll do that for me.

That's Great Steve!!
I love seeing good outfits back their product. My first Maverick (9 years ago) had the little switch break off the second time I used it. I called them & they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked, and I didn't even have to send the original one back. (I think it was a known problem with the Old ET-73).
I bought 2 more Mavericks since, and they all work great.
If they wouldn't have treated me like they did, I wouldn't have bought any more Mavericks.

Bear

The ET-733 is a PITA getting it set. The 732 is even easy for an Old Bear!!

I find the other way around to be true. Getting the alarms set on the 732 is a pain - the user interface was designed by an idiot.

My ThermoWorks "Smoke" receiver started to lose sync frequently and showing different error codes after 7 months. I just called them late last Friday afternoon and explained to the person the problem, he asked a few troubleshooting questions and then said "you know what, it shouldn't be doing that so I'm sending you a new one.
I thought he meant just the receiver, but on Tuesday I received the complete package. Excellent customer service!!

I find the other way around to be true. Getting the alarms set on the 732 is a pain - the user interface was designed by an idiot.

That could be.
I don't use any alarms. I just Turn them on. Transmitter sits on my MES, and the Receiver stays near me.
Bells & Whistles give Old Bears a Headache.

Bear

My wife is always giving me grief because I'll drop things, repeatedly. If my phone doesn't hit the floor at least twice a day, she starts thinking, "Hmmm, he's been body snatched." My 732 transmitter is not immune to my dropitis. It is all glued together with silicone, and still works like a champ.

I don't use the meat probes for meat anymore, but the chamber side just keep plugging along. I don't set alarms or use any of the fancy features. All I need to know is chamber temp when I wake up from a snooze on the couch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky