Looking to smoke chicken wings for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

urg8rb8

Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Any suggestions? I will be smoking them wither 3-2-1 ribs. I want to smoke them at the same time to save time. So the smoker will be running at 225F... how long should the wings smoke for at that temp? Should they ever be wrapped? When to sauce?

I sauce after they're done cooking and I don't wrap them. Place cooked wings in a bowl and mix well to cover with sauce. Put on a baking sheet in a 450℉ oven to bake the sauce on, probably about 10 minutes.....

at 225 smoke about 30 minutes and then throw in the oven as described above 400-450 for 10 minutes then toss in the sauce and let cool a little.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Definitely going to need to either bump the heat up on the last part of the cook or crisp them in a separate unit. You could smoke them for the last 30 minutes of your ribs, pull said ribs and rest them for 30 and bump the smoker to 350 to crisp the wings or as said above, pull them and bake them. Once crispy sauce in a bowl or do a dry rub and no need for sauce.

I agree with the others! Get some smoke on them and then finish off at a high heat....oven,grill, air fryer.... Teal101 Teal101 has the perfect suggestion for time management...everything done at the same time!

like others have said bump up the heat at the end. I never use a strong wood for wings by they tend to take on a lot of flavor. I’d honestly sauce the, right when they are done. Roughly I would plan on an hour and a half for the wings I’m the smoker then maybe 15 or so minutes on a hot grill or oven.

I smoke mine at 230 for 1.5 hours then increase the heat to 400 for the last 20 min or so. I have a pellet smoker so I use Lumber Jack's Competition Blend of Maple, Hickory and Cherry. I've yet to try this but I have heard to use a little bit of baking powder to make the wings extra crispy. This may be a little longer than you'd want for wings but they are the best I have ever had.

I smoke mine at 230 for 1.5 hours then increase the heat to 400 for the last 20 min or so. I have a pellet smoker so I use Lumber Jack's Competition Blend of Maple, Hickory and Cherry. I've yet to try this but I have heard to use a little bit of baking powder to make the wings extra crispy. This may be a little longer than you'd want for wings but they are the best I have ever had.
I use the baking powder when I do my wings. Wife says they come out crispy. I don't eat em to really comment on.

Yes the baking powder trick works, its what I use when I run mine on my pellet smoker. I only smoke for around 1hr at 225, flip em, crank to 350 and run for 10-15, then flip again and run for another 10 or so and they are done and crispy as all get out. DO NOT use the baking powder on a longer smoke, it will make the skin a hard inedible sheet.

So.... I smoked the wings at 220F for 30 mins then put them in the oven at 450F for 20 mins. Wings came out awesome!!! The meat was so tender and juicy that I couldn't really taste the texture of the meat at all... it was like butter. I used mesquite wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky