Looking to get an electric smoker for cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hijack away. I need to learn as much as possible before I get started. Any suggestions on instructions/techniques for cold smoking/warm smoking? I see a lot of people making stuff on here but would like step by step info and extra details.

I checked the Masterbuilt website, they don't seem to sell stuff direct, unless I am looking at the wrong site or something.

I don't feel like paying extra for a stand. Will any solid structure work as a stand/riser for this unit? Does the bottom not get hot enough to melt stuff, etc?
Use other's experiences as a guide and make it work for you. Look for folks also that live in your region, they will have experience with the same weather conditions you'll see, then expand out. You'll also learn the folks around here who will cook and smoke like you will want to. So you'll look forward to their posts, don't just lock in on a specific search, for instance, I learned how to "warm" smoke my sausages from Bearcarver's bacon posts. The search engine can get very specific if you ask it nicely. The forums break things down great. A little trick, look and see who the moderator is for a specific section and you know immediately they are dang knowledgable about that topic. You want to make sausage, you see that Boykjo is the moderator, send him a /PM, introduce yourself, and ask his help at his convience. Folks are all here to learn and help others at the same time. Boykjo will either direct you to the guru of the topic or help you himself if he has the time. Watch the posts on the boards, you'll find a group that you'll fall in with and they'll support you also. Always try to do your homework though before the questions. People apprecaite that, and will usually give even more advice when they realize you have a simple knowledge already.

It may just be me, but it seems you see alot more cold smoking in the north vice the south. Maybe a weather thing, maybe I am all wrong.

Drop a dime, Masterbuilt has an 800 number. Their site is a joke (they don't even show the cold smoker), as I assume they try to sell thru a distribution network. They offer little or no help in the literature you'll get with the smoker. Hey its Chinese, its the inexpensive way to get your feet wet (Odd how the world turns when I was a kid it was the inexpensive Japanese transistor radios we all joked about). BUT Masterbuilt's customer service is out frickin standing! I wish AMAZIN and Masterbuilt sold everything so I could get great customer service all the time.

There is a million things that will work for a stand, go to a used furnature store get a end table or a bed side table. Heck just some cider blocks from the hardware store work. Biggest thing remember to put it in a place that covered from the elements. You can see mine is on a large cooking grate I built. Any stationary oblect about the right height and its a plus if it is not combustable. LOL

Most important remember there is no one all perfect way to do anything and the most farout ideas maybe yet hold something you'll need or like. Smoking is about learning you smoker and making it do amazing things the way you want to do them. Not every idea will work and some will surprize even the guru's here. Enjoy learning and have fun. Smoking is not cooking, sure you can cook with it, but its about taking your time, not getting excited, having patience, thinking about it. Its about relaxing then the most amzing food is prepared.

LOL.... BTW you'll also learn who's long winded and rambles and who can simple answer a question..... LOL

Last edited:

I have the MES30 and 40 first generation and the AMP's as well as the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment.

I got my MES 40 with the cold smoke attachment direct from Masterbuilt both at a substantial discount. I really like them.

The MES40 operates a bit different than the MES30. The cold smoker attachment is most diffinatley diffrent.

I have (with regulation of the vent), gotten 18 hours of smoke with the AMPs but I think its advertized for 12. Where as the Masterbuilt is 4 to 6 hours. I won't bore you with temps because I have the pellet tray vice the dust which is preferred for straight cold smokes.

AMP's puts out sizably less smoke and lasts longer, the masterbuilt is auxillary smoker on steroids!

BUT when cold smoking unless really cold outside, 4 hours is all I am going to "cold' smoke at one sitting. Did I mention where I live we can go years without any freezing weather at all? The AMPs (pellet) does require heat in the box to draw a draft, or will go out, or you must do a modification to the box. That is why the dust is the preferred method.

Both aux smokers will require some tweaking to be useful. I have not used the masterbuilt with the MES30, That would be a load of smoke. I have used both my AMPs and the Master so far on sausages and andouille, been too warm to do bacon yet.

Mine both cost the same basically, both will require a bit of a learning curve but about equal, the AMP or dust tube uses pellets/dust easily obtainable from Amazin in multiple flavors where the Masterbuilt uses chips (or in my case pecan shells) readily available anywhere but normally with a limited variety. Both folks have great customer service.

IF you have anything specific about the masterbuilt cold smoker, I'd be glad to try and help. The AMPs, well there are plenty of folks here more knowldgeable but I can try. Its not brain surgery, I mean the old tin can sit works fine too. LOL
Foam I use my AMNPS in my MES40 to cold smoke. I can get the tray to burn from end to end wihtout a problem. I do turn on the MES for about 60 seconds to get air flowing. I pull my chip loader out about 1" farther than what you have in your picture. As long as I start with dry chips and take the time to get it going good it is great.

Happy smoken.

David

Quote: The AMPs (pellet) does require heat in the box to draw a draft, or will go out, or you must do a modification to the box. That is why the dust is the preferred method.

Hey Foam, This is the first I have seen this. I have Cold Smoked Bacon, MES off, in the summer and had no issue making smoke for 10+ hours. Have you had issues making bacon in hotter weather? The Salt and Cure should more than keep your meat safe. I have never had an issue in any air temp. Just curious...JJ
I've had the same experience with cold smoking in the MES 30 with the power off using the AMNPS. I've only cold smoked cheeses in cold weather and at night got plenty of smoke--more than plenty actually. The burning wood pellets give off enough heat to soften or even slightly melt the cheese so I place a couple of half gallon milk jugs filled with frozen water inside the MES at the start of the smoke.

Last edited:
I heard that burning dust in the AMNPS works better keeping the temps as low as possible. My next question is, how long does a 1lb of dust and 1lb of pellets last? I am trying to figure out how much to order.

I heard that burning dust in the AMNPS works better keeping the temps as low as possible. My next question is, how long does a 1lb of dust and 1lb of pellets last? I am trying to figure out how much to order.
I can only speak to burning pellets in the AMNPS. Many times I've smoked about 4-6 hours and used up only a row and a half of pellets. I typically fill no more than two rows unless I'm going to be smoking something for over 6 hours. But then it all depends on smoker temp and airflow.

There has been a mistake somewhere, I have not had a problem with AMPs in my 30 or 40. When I changed the placement in the 30 it works fine. I have not used it but twice with the 40. Both times before the chips. My problem was you can not use it at the same time as the chips. So far it has been and either/or, not enough air for both. The cold smoker chokes it out.  I have not yet been able in either unit to grab a draft when the box is cold with the AMPs, the cold smoker, yes.

I did figure one point out on the last andouille smoke. I was using the cold smoke attachment, even without the smoke it doesn't port enough air while closed up to support the AMPs. IF I open the cold smoker's top it gets enough air flow when the cold smoker is not smoking but still attached.

Again, if I have slandered the AMPs in any way, it was not my intent. I have used it much more that the cold smoker. I have warm smoked with it, but not cold smoked.

There has been a mistake somewhere, I have not had a problem with AMPs in my 30 or 40. When I changed the placement in the 30 it works fine. I have not used it but twice with the 40. Both times before the chips. My problem was you can not use it at the same time as the chips. So far it has been and either/or, not enough air for both. The cold smoker chokes it out.  I have not yet been able in either unit to grab a draft when the box is cold with the AMPs, the cold smoker, yes.

I did figure one point out on the last andouille smoke. I was using the cold smoke attachment, even without the smoke it doesn't port enough air while closed up to support the AMPs. IF I open the cold smoker's top it gets enough air flow when the cold smoker is not smoking but still attached.

Again, if I have slandered the AMPs in any way, it was not my intent. I have used it much more that the cold smoker. I have warm smoked with it, but not cold smoked.
Actually, you can use the the AMNPS with wood chips because I did last summer when I smoked some baby backs II wanted both pecan and apple wood smoke flavors. I had apple wood pellets but only pecan wood chips. I tell ya, while I only had to light the AMNPS once to burn the pellets I had to reload the pecan wood chips about every 20 minutes. After that experience I ordered pecan and other wood pellets from Todd to fully stock myself up for next year.

Burning both pellets and chips was a one-time thing prompted by necessity. What I did worked because I had the pellets in the AMNPS and the chips in the wood chip tray. I don't own the MB cold smoker because the AMNPS makes owning on unnecessary since the it can also be used for cold smoking--I've done it quite a few times. In your case, I would have unattach the Cold Smoker and put the wood chip loader back in when you use the AMNPS for hot smokes.

Last edited:

Hijack away. I need to learn as much as possible before I get started. Any suggestions on instructions/techniques for cold smoking/warm smoking? I see a lot of people making stuff on here but would like step by step info and extra details.

I checked the Masterbuilt website, they don't seem to sell stuff direct, unless I am looking at the wrong site or something.

I don't feel like paying extra for a stand. Will any solid structure work as a stand/riser for this unit? Does the bottom not get hot enough to melt stuff, etc?
I'm lucky that my wife runs her home daycare out of our house. There's a discarded child's card table which has been a perfect stand for my MES 30. If it ever succumbs to the outside elements I may buy the MES stand. I also don't know why MB doesn't show this stand or the cold smoker on its site. Maybe somebody can provide the answer.

I store my MES in my garage, bungee corded to a small hand truck. I just wheel it out to where I'm smoking and then when I'm done I wheel it back into the garage.

Actually, you can use the the AMNPS with wood chips because I did last summer when I smoked some baby backs II wanted both pecan and apple wood smoke flavors. I had apple wood pellets but only pecan wood chips. I tell ya, while I only had to light the AMNPS once to burn the pellets I had to reload the pecan wood chips about every 20 minutes. After that experience I ordered pecan and other wood pellets from Todd to fully stock myself up for next year.

Burning both pellets and chips was a one-time thing prompted by necessity. What I did worked because I had the pellets in the AMNPS and the chips in the wood chip tray. I don't own the MB cold smoker because the AMNPS makes owning on unnecessary since the it can also be used for cold smoking--I've done it quite a few times. In your case, I would have unattach the Cold Smoker and put the wood chip loader back in when you use the AMNPS for hot smokes.
I am glad that it did work for you. But so far I have not been able to use both at the same time. I can start the AMPs while the smoker is heating up it works fine, it smokes that first dewater cycle, but you can see exactly where I used the cold smoker because the pellets quit burning at that point. I will gladly show you on my next smoke.

I am glad it works for you, I still say there is not enough air to support both, in my smokers configuration anyway.

I am going to probably just build my own stand with casters on it. My concern was if the smoker got hot enough to melt something like a plastic type card table.

I've noticed that the Masterbuilt website is pretty crappy. Like they made it just to have a web presence and not really be a prime outlet for sales and info.

I figure 10 hours per LB. They are advertised as 11 hours or so per load and a load is about 15 OZ. So it will go a little longer if it doesn't flare up or whatever. It just keeps the math simple for me.

Happy smoken.

David
I'm a penny-pinching guy so a 2 lb. bag of Todd wood pellets can last me months--and they have. With my MES 30 I use about a row and a half of the AMNPS for the pellets and that typically lasts me 4-6 hours. In fact, I've smoked for 4 hours and never even got that far into the second row with the AMNPS never going out, just producing that nonstop TBS. However, I found that smoking at high temps (over 250) burns the pellets up a lot faster.

I am glad that it did work for you. But so far I have not been able to use both at the same time. I can start the AMPs while the smoker is heating up it works fine, it smokes that first dewater cycle, but you can see exactly where I used the cold smoker because the pellets quit burning at that point. I will gladly show you on my next smoke.

I am glad it works for you, I still say there is not enough air to support both, in my smokers configuration anyway.
It works for me but I've done nothing special to my MES 30; no mailbox mods, no extra air vents or whatever some other guys do. I light the AMNPS when I turn on the MES 30 so in the 30 minutes or so the smoker is warming up to the set point while I've already got the AMNPS lit and burning on the ground. The only tricks to keep it light are blowing on the pellets to get that red hot cherry and re-ignite the flame if it's gone out. Before I place the AMNPS in the smoker I blow on the burning end again to get that cherry glowing and let the flames burn the pellets once last time. I then blow the flames out and insert the AMNPS lit-end first into the MES. Have no idea if I'm right but I figure with the air vent and the wood chip loader both in back and to the right (well, the loader is more to the side) it seems like the airflow would be better in the rear than in the front of the MES. It's been working for me. I also leave the water pan empty but foiled over.

The only time I have problems keeping the AMNPS lit is on cold, damp nights when no breeze is blowing and this has only happened during a cold smoke. The air is already damp inside the smoker and that just serves to further impede combustion inside the smoker--for cold smoking. However, the AMNPS still put out plenty of smoke in that instance even though it went out a few times. I was cold smoking cheeses and they turned out the best I'd made--and I actually smoked it far longer than I needed to. 

Last edited:
I don't own the MB Cold Smoker but it's likely that being a wood chip smoker that it does produce more smoke than the AMNPS, but more is not always better. Todd Johnson designed his pellet smoker to produce thin blue smoke (over a period of hours). Wood pellets are just compressed wood so they should slowly smolder instead of burn at a fast pace. Wood chips are thin and so they burn much hotter and faster, which is why many chefs have (incorrectly) advised soaking them for about an hour in water so that they don't burn up so fast.

You can't compare the smoke produced by wood pellets in the AMNPS ( I don't own the tube smoker which means I don't use dust so I can't comment on it) with the smoke produced by wood chips burning in the MB Cold Smoker; two different animals and two different wood mediums.

I agree with the 1st generation MES 40 and a AMNPS. You will have money left for any other toys you might want or for some meat. You can also cold smoke in your UDS. I have both a UDS and a MES 40 I have done cheese bacon and other cold smokes in both.

Cheese in the MES

Bacon in the MES

Bacon in the MES

Bacon in the UDS

Cheese in the UDS

Cold smoke in the UDS

Divorced AMNPS box for the UDS

Smoke entering the UDS

My UDS with divorced AMNPS box.

Happy smoken.

David
I noticed that in your smoker you stood the cheeses on their sides in the MES instead of laying them flat (as you did in your UDS). I found that interesting because it makes perfect sense. I've laid my cheeses flat on the rack so I had to turn them over. Standing them on their sides (on which looks like QMATZ) gets three sides smoked simultaneously unless you still flip the cheeses onto that other side. Do you just let them stand like that without flipping?

Is it possible to attach dryer vent tubing to run the smoke outdoors? I'd like to keep it in my garage and maybe vent the smoke out when the weather is particularly nasty out. The wind has been gusting 50-60 all week up here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky