Looking to buy a Propane Pizza Oven from UK, have a few questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
So I've Googled this and see mostly people talking about traveling abroad and adapting their US propane set up to work in Europe. What I'm not finding is anything directly related to bringing a UK grill into the US and converting it that way. I do see POL to QCC adapters, I don't know if anyone here knows much about UK, I'm curious what exactly I'd need to buy to have the oven function as specced, and I don't know if the fact the oven reaches 930f makes any difference over using an adapter on a grill that maxes out at 400-500f. I know this is pretty poor idea, but I contacted the maker of the Oven (Cozze) and they're barely starting to look into anything to do with US distribution. So, if it ever did happen it's gonna be really far off. One person I spoke to recommended I buy a UK tank and a QCC to POL adapter that only gets used when I go to get the tank filled. Which seems like it would work, but importing a big, heavy tank from the UK will cost $$$$$. So if I could buy some $20 adapter and use my current tank that seems like a better route.

Also, I called the refill station and explained what I was trying to do, the lady sounded confused (don't blame her lol) and said "I think we could do that" but was going to have to ask someone who wasn't there. I was thinking for saftey they might have policies against refilling a weird foreign tank with an adapter hooked up to it lol.

Anyone know anything here? I know this is a weird at best idea, but I'm really trying to figure out if using this oven in the states would be doable.

So if I could buy some $20 adapter and use my current tank that seems like a better route.

I know that Ooni makes pizza ovens that reach the temps you noted. No clue if they are familiar with, or cater to the UK market but it may be worth a look. I can't see that it'd be horribly difficult to obtain the necessary adapter though. Worst case take the components you have to a machine shop and have them make one. It may be a bit more than $20 but I'm betting they could do it in an hour or so. I've had to do that with plumbing fixtures for custom homes that were ordered from overseas.

Hope this helps....
Robert

Reactions: bauchjw and schlotz
. I was thinking for saftey they might have policies against refilling a weird foreign tank with an adapter hooked up to it

Another thing I just thought about. When you get the propane tanks refilled here in the states, they check for an inspection date before filling them. The tanks need to be inspected every so often and if the inspection is out of date they will not refill it. That might rule out using a tank imported from the UK. If you can get a tank here and find / have made the adapter you'll be far better off in the long run. A UK tank would only be a temporary fix at best.

Robert

Reactions: Bigheaded
Ah thank you, the date thing was something I didn't even know about. My narrow thinking was it would work better + it appears the standard UK tanks are 13kg. I did my conversion since I don't know metrics and that's a lot more propane than a standard US tank. And yes know about Ooni very well, my 1st pizza oven was an Ooni and I loved it. And I know adapters exist and aren't super hard to find, I just can't find anything about if an adapter would affect the flow of gas. I'm wondering because the pics I'm seeing, the POL connection's much smaller than the QCC we use.

I would probably, no definitely be best off getting the new Ooni Karu 16 and calling it a day lol. Even if I could get this oven working here with a $20 adapter, I'm stuck if anything goes wrong since the company has no US presence.

You bringing up the tanks expiring, crap I need to go check the one I have now, I might not even be able to get it refilled tomorrow as I had planned. I'm seeing now why just swapping them at a station is easier in the long run than buying an empty tank from Lowes like I did.

Reactions: bauchjw
Ah thank you, the date thing was something I didn't even know about. My narrow thinking was it would work better + it appears the standard UK tanks are 13kg. I did my conversion since I don't know metrics and that's a lot more propane than a standard US tank. And yes know about Ooni very well, my 1st pizza oven was an Ooni and I loved it. And I know adapters exist and aren't super hard to find, I just can't find anything about if an adapter would affect the flow of gas. I'm wondering because the pics I'm seeing, the POL connection's much smaller than the QCC we use.

I would probably, no definitely be best off getting the new Ooni Karu 16 and calling it a day lol. Even if I could get this oven working here with a $20 adapter, I'm stuck if anything goes wrong since the company has no US presence.

You bringing up the tanks expiring, crap I need to go check the one I have now, I might not even be able to get it refilled tomorrow as I had planned. I'm seeing now why just swapping them at a station is easier in the long run than buying an empty tank from Lowes like I did.
B Bigheaded
The best way to get rid of an expired tank is to use the fuel, then take it to a store that exchanges empty tanks for full tanks. They take expired tanks, then the filling company certifies them and refills them for their stock to sell to the next person. I've done this hundreds of times with zero questions asked.

Just out of curiosity, why the UK? There are amazing pizza oven makers here in the states and imports from Italy that have proven track records.

Last edited:
B Bigheaded
The best way to get rid of an expired tank is to use the fuel, then take it to a store that exchanges empty tanks for full tanks. They take expired tanks, then the filling company certifies them and refills them for their stock to sell to the next person. I've done this hundreds of times with zero questions asked.

Just out of curiosity, why the UK? There are amazing pizza oven makers here in the states and imports from Italy that have proven track records.

I fell in love with the 2 videos I saw of the Cozze, it looks nice and I think probably a big part was also that it's not available in the US. I had an Ooni for a year and a half then I sold it and got a Gozney Roccbox. Both are great companies that make awesome pizza ovens. But everyone here who's into making pizzas has one or the other. I thought it would be slick to import something nobody else would have, but that's not a good reason to buy something lol. And since posting here, the more I thought about it there are a ton of potential downsides. I did email Cozze, they want to have distribution in the US one day. So perhaps in a few years, I can get still get an oven from them.

And that's how I use to do my tanks too, but then I actually bought one. And I refill it at Uhall for around $8 cheaper than going somewhere that swaps them out. And I typically take it to get refilled well before it's empty because of paranoia of maybe running out while I was making 10 pizzas. I know you can pour warm water on the side of a tank to hand test about how much you have left. I suppose I could just look at the date and when it's no longer refillable go do a swap and keep that tank and have it refilled until it expires. And just keep doing it that way.

Reactions: Steve H
I would suggest getting a 2nd tank. Then you can use more out of your tank and have a spare in case you do run out!

Ryan

And I typically take it to get refilled well before it's empty because of paranoia of maybe running out while I was making 10 pizzas.

And that sir is the exact reason I kept 10 tanks on hand at all times. I did have several outdoor appliances that ran off of them though. Now that I built the house, everything is hard piped out on the patio. No more tanks except the 1# tanks for the propane ignition on the Weber and the 22" Blackstone griddle.

Robert

And that sir is the exact reason I kept 10 tanks on hand at all times. I did have several outdoor appliances that ran off of them though. Now that I built the house, everything is hard piped out on the patio. No more tanks except the 1# tanks for the propane ignition on the Weber and the 22" Blackstone griddle.

Robert

LOL I don't need 10, 2 might be a good idea though. But the way my mind works (or doesn't work, depending...) when I take it to refill and it's only 1/3rd empty. I feel like I'm getting a super deal when only costs me $6 lol. I definitely should get a 2nd though that's just smart.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I definitely should get a 2nd though that's just smart.

It's also a great insurance policy. Seemed like when I only kept one on hand it would inevitably run out at a time when all the propane filling stations were closed. I ended up buying two more than a friend who was moving brought me a bunch that were already filled. I just kept them in two separate piles so I knew which were full and which were not. I'll admit though, it sure is nice not having to mess with those any more. I had gas drops installed all over the place on the patio and all are in use right now.

Robert

I fell in love with the 2 videos I saw of the Cozze, it looks nice and I think probably a big part was also that it's not available in the US. I had an Ooni for a year and a half then I sold it and got a Gozney Roccbox. Both are great companies that make awesome pizza ovens. But everyone here who's into making pizzas has one or the other. I thought it would be slick to import something nobody else would have, but that's not a good reason to buy something lol. And since posting here, the more I thought about it there are a ton of potential downsides. I did email Cozze, they want to have distribution in the US one day. So perhaps in a few years, I can get still get an oven from them.

And that's how I use to do my tanks too, but then I actually bought one. And I refill it at Uhall for around $8 cheaper than going somewhere that swaps them out. And I typically take it to get refilled well before it's empty because of paranoia of maybe running out while I was making 10 pizzas. I know you can pour warm water on the side of a tank to hand test about how much you have left. I suppose I could just look at the date and when it's no longer refillable go do a swap and keep that tank and have it refilled until it expires. And just keep doing it that way.
That's what I do, I owned my tanks as well, but once they expire I trade them in for full tanks to get up-to-date tanks, then refill them at the truck stop as needed. I will never run out of LP during a cook, I have 3 tanks and refill them when I get down to two empties and keep the 3rd for an emergency fuel source.
Instead of buying three tanks, I grab expired tanks from yard sales or the recycler in town for free or very cheap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky