Looking for reviews on different Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eriksp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Orange County, New York
I searched the site and don't find a lot on Pellets because it just comes up with Pellet Cookers.

Which brands do I stay away from? I only have used Apple for all my smokes in my old smoker. I see that most pellets are a mixture.

So which brands should I stick with? Which are worth ordering online? or just get anything local? I see they have 1lb bags "Flavored" which I assume are used for the A=Maze-N tubes to add more flavor or mixed in the hopper?

LumberJack has a good selection of 100% flavorwood pellets. They also sell various blends. All clearly labelled. You can do group buys at BBQPelletsOnline.com for very good prices, delivered to either a loading dock, or picked up at a terminal.
SmokeRing Pellets and Cookin' Pellets also sell 100% flavorwood varieties.

The 1lb bags are intended for adding smoke to bbq grills, or burning them in tubes or trays. They are too expensive to use in a pellet grill.

Most of the big brands are going to be bland, Pit Boss, Louisiana, Traeger, etc. Lumberjack is good if you can find it at a good price locally. Amazon prices are highway robbery. Kingsford is 100% flavorwood but not as strong as Lumberjack.

Reactions: JC in GB
To put it in perspective, you can get 40lbs of Pit Boss pellets for $15-16, or 1/3 the price. They're by far the cheapest. If you can get Lumberjack locally it's usually around $10/20lb bag. Kingsford is $12/20lb bag. Online you're going to pay $20/20lb bag or more. Try to find decent pellets locally.

I just made some calls and a place that's really close has Traeger Pellets. Lowes has Louisiana grills and Pitboss pellets.

I'll keep calling places to find Lumberjack.

J JWFokker Thanks for putting the prices into perspective. That helps a lot.

I ordered the Rec Tec RT-340 and it has a 20lb hopper. Whats an estimate on how many Lbs fuel per smoke? For example, I did 2 Butts on my propane and they were done in 225-235F 15 hours.

Last edited:
I usually pay about $9 for lumberjack at rural king and about $20 for bbq delight at local outdoor furniture store. I’ve tried pitboss and traeger and wasn’t happy with there flavor or the amount of ash they put out. Since finding lumberjack I’ve used them exclusively. I might be mistaken but I think the cabellas and bass pro shop pellets are lumberjack as well.

LJ Apple blend is 60% Red Oak, 40% Apple. You'll really need to judge for yourself if you can detect a difference. The 100% Apple is priced much higher than the blend. I'd suggest getting some 100% hickory as well.

I just made some calls and a place that's really close has Traeger Pellets. Lowes has Louisiana grills and Pitboss pellets.

I ordered the Rec Tec RT-340 and it has a 20lb hopper. Whats an estimate on how many Lbs fuel per smoke? For example, I did 2 Butts on my propane and they were done in 225-235F 15 hours.

Pit Boss and Louisiana Grills are the same company. Don't know if there's a difference in pellet formulation. Traeger is getting sued over their pellets because they are allegedly using artificial flavoring or oils in the pellets to give them an aroma. Not worth the money in my opinion.

RT-340 is a small grill. Doesn't take much fuel to run it. Less than a pound per hour at low temps, probably closer to 1/2 per hour, as long as it isn't cold out. Ambient temp and wind can make a big difference. Very few pellet smokers are insulated.

Count me in as a LJ believer. Probably a haul from where you are but Runnings up north there carries LJ pellets at good prices. Personally I go with 100% which ever flavor I'm using.

I have to look for LumberJack . I wouldn't even need the amount needed for a group buy. I also have no one local that would be interested.

I went to https://bbqrsdelight.com/cart/ and 2 bags are 48$ which includes shipping. I don't even know what a good price or bad price is LOL

If you have an Attwoods, Rural King, or Dick's Sporting goods near you they sell the Lumberjack pellets locally at good prices. With Dick's you can order online and send to the store in case they don't have the flavor u want there.

I don't own a pellet grill but have done a bunch of research and read a ton of threads on them. If I did own one I would burn the least expensive well performing pellet I could in the hopper (Pit Boss brand) and then burn the Lumber Jack in an A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (AMNPS) Tube for max flavor.

Pellet smokers burn their pellets for both heat and smoke but the hotter the temp the lesser the smoke. The lower the temp the greater the smoke. I personally would just use the AMNPS Tube and LJ pellets for my smoke generation to decouple the smoke generation/flavor from the cooking.

I believe this would save time, money, increases control, and I belive it would produce the most flavorful bbq a person could manage with a pellet grill.

Anyhow take this info for what it's worth and I look forward to seeing where you land on this and what you smoke :)

Reactions: diversification
I have only seen Kingsford in a 10lbs bag and they are around $10 , I pay $9 for 20lbs of Lumber Jack and the prices are crazy for it on the net, folks reselling to other folks who don't know any better and hope it catches up with them, they only worry about the 1 time sale and not the long term imo.

tallbm tallbm Thanks for the tip on Dick's ! They have curbside pickup and have Lumberjack.

mike243 mike243 Yeah the online prices are crazy. I think a lot has to do with rather then add shipping cost they build in the cost. Still they are a lot of money online .

Reactions: tallbm
Hi All I started off on using Lumber Jacks pellets. I got a good price match $8.88 from Dicks Sporting Goods. My 2nd order they didn't want to do a price match,so I said good bye to them.
Got a good deal on cooking pellets. Haven't use the cookinpellets ones yet.
With he LJ pellets I need a bit more smoke flavor?
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky