Looking for recommendations on a good wireless/WiFi meat thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
JAX, FLA
I've got an old Redichek themometer and I'm looking to upgrade to something newer and with Wifi.

Here are my requirements:
  1. Accurate readings
  2. WiFi
  3. Multiple probes, including one to measure smoker temp
  4. Wireless probes if possible, but not a deal breaker
  5. Decent app with good features
I looked the the Meater (ridiculous name)..It's strange because while it has good reviews on Amazon, 4.5 stars, when you read the comments it seems a lot more people are dissatisfied with them.

Then there was the Thermopro TP20 and the Thermoworks smoke, both of which had their downsides as well, neither have the wireless probes.

Are there any other units I'm overlooking. Curious to hear from those of you who have used one on a regular basis.

Thanks.

1601488563240.png

I just got myself the new fireboard 2 that also has the capability of driving an electric fan if you have a smoker like the masterbuilt 560. I have not used it on the smoker yet but I have it outside my house measuring the ambient temperature. What is really nice about it is I can watch it from my phone anywhere (currently 15 miles away as the crow flies) or you can monitor it from your computer at work! It also has a very nice graphing feature that shows the temps throughout your cook and you can even download it all the excel and keep a nice record with notes. It is a little pricey but from my initial impression I am not regretting my purchase.

Just got the Inkbird 4 probe wifi module. The probes arent wifi, but the unit itself is and the app is very user friendly with lots of features. I also like the probes being color coded.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
i should of added the only thing with their app is it doesn't as far as i know record the temp graph, it will show you the graph as your using it for the cook your doing but when you turn the app off the graph is erased. please correct me if i'm wrong guys. so if recording your cooks is something you wanted you might want to investigate this a little more or snap a photo with your phone before you close it.

Last edited:
i should of added the only thing with their app is it doesn't as far as i know record the temp graph, it will show you the graph as your using it for the cook your doing but when you turn the app off the graph is erased. please correct me if i'm wrong guys. so if recording your cooks is something you wanted you might want to investigate this a little more or snap a photo with your phone before you close it.
Thanks smokerjim smokerjim .. recording the cooks isn't crucial, I'm more interested in just being able to easily monitor temps

The Wifi on the Inkbird works great but I have not had much luck with the charts. Not a deal breaker but would like to be able to use them. Keep hoping for an update to fix.

what piney said, try inkbird i have a 2 probe and 4 probe, to me they work great. they put promotions on here a lot, you could always pm them on smf and see if they're any coupons available.

Yup, I have the water proof inkbird as well as the instant reads ones. Both work really well and the phone app is simple to use. Their customer service is very good as well! Yes I have used it in the rain!

Reactions: jeremymillrood
I've been extremely happy with inkbird products. I don't use the wifi (no real internet service here) but I will say they are accurate. Never let me down. Another vote for inkbird.

The Meater has the pcb board and battery in each probe in the pointed meat end so the meat is a cold sink to keep from frying the electronics etc. I'm not sure how far above 212 the electronics can handle but not much. Some have fried them not having the probe in meat just sitting on the rack checking pit temps. .

Amazon has a 20 percent coupon right now on all the Inkbird products. Between the $41 IBT 4XS and the $80 IBBQ-4T, is there a huge difference in functionality? (other than WiFi vs Bluetooth)

Well, nobody answered, so I bought the cheaper one, the IBT 4XS. Since I just ordered my first smoker (MES 130B), I figured I'd start out with a more basic model. I've had a RediChek remote for about 10 years, but it will be nice to have a multi-probe to keep an eye on the smoker temp and separate meats.

Last edited:
Inkbird WiFi... I have bought two of them at a discount through Inkbird. I wasn't sure at first about them. I have a Bluetooth iGrill 2 also. I wish I would have heard of Inkbird earlier. My two cents.

Amazon has a 20 percent coupon right now on all the Inkbird products. Between the $41 IBT 4XS and the $80 IBBQ-4T, is there a huge difference in functionality? (other than WiFi vs Bluetooth)

Well, nobody answered, so I bought the cheaper one, the IBT 4XS. Since I just ordered my first smoker (MES 130B), I figured I'd start out with a more basic model. I've had a RediChek remote for about 10 years, but it will be nice to have a multi-probe to keep an eye on the smoker temp and separate meats.

Not sure the difference between the 2, figured I'd get the more $$ one..I'm looking forward to being able to see everything on my phone and not have to constantly keep checking outside..

Inkbird WiFi... I have bought two of them at a discount through Inkbird. I wasn't sure at first about them. I have a Bluetooth iGrill 2 also. I wish I would have heard of Inkbird earlier. My two cents.

I'm looking forward to my next smoke...the unit is nice, and pairing with my phone took a couple minutes, the instructions aren't that great..The app doesn't have very good reviews, so I'm curious to see how it does..

1601849228880.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky