Looking for a durable, weather-resistant, remote thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Megacannon

Original poster
Apr 27, 2019
Hi! I had been using an ThermoPro TP-08 for the past two years, but the transmitter died today during my smoke (smoke is still ongoing as of this writing). So, now I need recommendations for a new one.

I suspect the weather was a factor in its demise. I'm in MI and it's currently 32* and raining slush. This is routine for MI and will turn to snow over the next few weeks, but I still need to smoke! So, weather-resistance is a necessity.

Also, I had a lot of problem with my ThermoPro losing connectivity. The transmitter would shut off randomly or stop sending signals. This happened very frequently on anything less than a 100% full battery. So, I need one with a good, strong, wireless signal. I don't know if wifi or bluetooth would be useful to me or be a solution to this problem, so your experiences on this would be appreciated.

I'm looking at the Inkbird IRF-4S or the ThermoWorks Smoke. I only need 2 probes, so more than that is just a bonus. The Smoke X is also tempting because of the huge range, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

Let me know what you guys recommend!

Those are both good units. Inkbird gets good reviews and I think are less$$. I have the smoke and the extra gateway for their app. I really like it. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

I have seen the Meater Plus discussed from time to time. It would be nice not to have cables to tangle with, but I'm not familiar with those. Maybe someone will chime in about them.

I just got the inkbird IBBQ-4T, its connection is wifi and it will stay connected at a range similar to my phone. When I moved it around the garage it lost signal but my phone had one barely. Going up the driveway my phone lost connection but the inkbird barely had connection. It was nice to drive to town and get something for my chainsaw and still be able to monitor the smoker.

I have owned a Maverick 732, Thermoworks Smoke ll, and just recently (a month ago) purchased an Inkbird IRF-4S.

I wasn't happy with the range of the Maverick or Smoke ll and the Smoke ll got rained on which was the end of it. The Inkbird has twice the range (maybe more) of either the Maverick or Smoke ll. The Inkbird is rainproof. I did an overnight pork butt last night and it poured rain on the Inkbird and the smoker for twelve straight hours. This is the second all day downpour the Inkbird has survived. Everything ran perfectly. Also the Smoke ll has to be programmed at the transmitter that is at the grill/smoker. Any change in timer or temp settings requires me to go outside to the smoker to change it. The Inkbird is programmable on the remote.

Thermoworks makes great stuff. I have owned a Thermopen for years now and a Thermopen is second to none. As far as a weather resistant the Inkbird IRF-4S has proven itself. When I bought it I was looking for range and weather proof the Inkbird IRF-4S does both far better than my previous purchases and was a perfect choice for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Judging by whistlepig's thoughts, it sounds like the Inkbird is the best choice. It's also the most economical, so I'll go with that for now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky