Looking for new sauce to buy recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I was in to the blues hog sauces, but now feel they are too sweet.

Just finished off a bottle of KOSMOS Q COMPETITION BBQ SAUCE which was very good and well balanced. Any recommendations on other similar not so sweet sauces? Many thanks, Dave

I've been using Country Bob's original . It's local , but don't know if it's marketed any where else or not .
I just used one that was a Throw down prize . It was fantastic , but I can't remember the name . I'll see if I can find it . You looking to order online ?

Reactions: eaglewing
I was in to the blues hog sauces, but now feel they are too sweet.

Just finished off a bottle of KOSMOS Q COMPETITION BBQ SAUCE which was very good and well balanced. Any recommendations on other similar not so sweet sauces? Many thanks, Dave
Have you tried the OP X-1 from Kosmos?
We like it ! Not too sweet but our favorite is a local vinegar based sauce.

Keith

Don't know if this is available in your area or not... It's bottled locally and sold only in Publix stores (besides online but pricey there) ... has a little tang to it...

Pat's Ho Made BBQ Sauce.jpg

Have you tried any of the Killer Hog sauces? They are pretty good.
Jim
I have - have one unopened at the ready.
I've been using Country Bob's original . It's local , but don't know if it's marketed any where else or not .
I just used one that was a Throw down prize . It was fantastic , but I can't remember the name . I'll see if I can find it . You looking to order online ?
I am looking to buy online. If you can find the name shoot it on over.. Many thanks
Have you tried the OP X-1 from Kosmos?
We like it ! Not too sweet but our favorite is a local vinegar based sauce.

Keith
Havent seen that version ill look for it
Don't know if this is available in your area or not... It's bottled locally and sold only in Publix stores (besides online but pricey there) ... has a little tang to it...

View attachment 634217
Never seen that one :(

I'm partial to Jeff's sauce.
And when I want it more Mild, I use Mrs Bear's Sauce, which is based off of Ketchup, with some AC Vinegar, Liquid Smoke, and Brown Sugar. Well, I said Mild!!!

Bear

I tried some varieties from Big Ricks that were pretty good. One killer one is Ken's Cannonball, I've only ever found it on Amazon in the gallon size but trust me, I have had people rave about it. Recently open a bottle of Plowboys KC Crossroads and that was a major let down, pretty much ketchup IMHO.

I've made my own sauce for awhile now and last year decided to try some of the bought "premium brands". Tried a few and still got a few to go.

Edit. Sonny's Sweet is pretty good too, just finishing a 1/2 gallon.

I really enjoy these 2 from Duke's
download (1).jpeg
images (8).jpeg

Also this one is private selection from Kroger. Very thin, vinegar and moonshine base with some heat
images (9).jpeg

Reactions: 912smoker
Head Country looks like it may be a good option?
I remember Head Country as being good and not too sweet.

You said you've used Blues Hog, have you tried their Tennessee Red? I like it much more than the regular version which I find too thick and sweet.

I remember Head Country as being good and not too sweet.

You said you've used Blues Hog, have you tried their Tennessee Red? I like it much more than the regular version which I find too thick and sweet.
Head Country makes the best sugar free bbq sauce by far. It blows away G Hughes and Kinder sugar free sauces. Like obliterates them.

I buy Kraft, Bullseye, Sweet Baby Rays, whatever, and add my own ingredients until i like the taste...

Or i start with 50/50 mix of vinegar and Heinz Ketchup and again add what i like to get a good flavor.

Some black pepper, maybe cayenne or a splash of Texas Pete, some lemon or lime juice, pineapple juice..... a dash of Dales or Soy Sauce or worchestershire.....some spicy mustard....maybe some garlic and onion powder, some dried basil, oregano.....

I love to experiment.

Reactions: chopsaw
I buy Kraft, Bullseye, Sweet Baby Rays, whatever, and add my own ingredients until i like the taste...
Bill , I'm with you on that .
Sweet baby Ray's , red wine vinegar , yellow mustard and bourbon to taste .
Dial it in with brown sugar or some heat .

sandyut sandyut If you like spicy Get some Gates and try it on chicken .

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky