Looking for ideas on best method for Flat Iron roast.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
My wife and I are camping in up north MN for a couple of weeks. I have been trying to find something to throw on the weber Kamado but have not been having any luck finding anything under $50. I did find a small-town grocery store that sold 'Flat Iron Roasts" They looked well-marbled, weighed around 2.5 pounds, and were under $6 a pound. However, I have never used this cut of meat. What would be the best method and what IT do I want to bring the roast to?

flat iron comes from the shoulder blade, i personally would just use some salt,pepper garlic and let the flavor of the meat be the show, i've done them before and smoked around 225-250 until internal temp of 160. i've never tried them rare (wife doesn't like rare meat) so i'm not sure how tender it will be but at 160 i know these are tender flavorful roast. i'm sure you'll get some more imput.

Reactions: DanMcG
Never had a flat iron roast, but I've cooked many flat iron steaks, always going for medium rare. At 2.5 lbs, I would treat like a thick cut steak and slow smoke it to 105-110, then sear the outside going for an internal temp around 125. Then rest and slice against the grain. At under $6/lb, sounds like a good deal.

Never had a flat iron roast, but I've cooked many flat iron steaks, always going for medium rare. At 2.5 lbs, I would treat like a thick cut steak and slow smoke it to 105-110, then sear the outside going for an internal temp around 125. Then rest and slice against the grain. At under $6/lb, sounds like a good deal.
Yeah, this is what I would do also. A nice flavorful steak/roast.

If it's in steak form then I would cook it like I do flank steaks. Marinate in teriyaki sauce for a few hours, then slap that puppy on high direct heat. When the steak releases itself from the grill flip and repeat.

Chris

Reactions: MJB05615
Agree as said above whether in Steak form or Roast form. 2.8 lbs. is a nice size for Flat Iron. If it's pretty thick, smoking til IT hits 110 then reverse sear as said above. We love Flat Iron Steaks done Medium Rare.

Reactions: Mike R.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky