Looking for a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What about charcoal do you think will be too much to deal with, compared to pellets or gas?

The charcoal its having to clean it up and adjustments to regulate temperature. Am I mistaken about having to keep adjusting venting for it?

I know the charcoal cabinets are more expensive. However they will provide the stickburner taste with much less attending to. I wanted step up the flavor profile without the required wood sourcing and handling of a stickburner. I have a Yoder pellet and love the flavor and ease of use.
I have a Lone Star Grillz large cabinet on order and hopefully with get it next month. To me the added extra cost is made up for in build quality and durability.
But I have been accused of going overboard on purchases before.

Edit: here is the link to what I'm getting.

The charcoal its having to clean it up and adjustments to regulate temperature. Am I mistaken about having to keep adjusting venting for it?

As far as temperature regulation, that's not an issue with either of the smokers that nomad_archer suggested. Both the Masterbuilt gravity feed, and WSM with BBQ Guru are thermostatically controlled. Cleaning up ash is going to be about the same for any smoker that uses wood (sticks, pellets, charcoal) as a fuel source.

Reactions: nomad_archer
I'd like to chime in on clean up. I don't have a pellet grill but my understanding is that there is a safety requirement for very good maintenance. Which will require a vacuum in many cases and that is to much for me to even consider. Dumping the spent ash from charcoal is pretty simplified in most smokers. I don't own one, but have already heard a ton of positive feedback about the Masterbuilt 560 gravity feed. That this is about $500 and has electronic control that will make it a snap to cook at whatever temp you need. You still get the great taste of charcoal and wood and the ash all goes into a single pale that is easy to remove and dump. If that is in your price range, I would seriously consider it. I'm stoked about my Weber Kettle and OKJ Highland combo myself. If I decide to replace my OKJ at some point I know that my first consideration is going to be one of those gravity fed Masterbuilt grills. Just my two cents.

G

Which will require a vacuum in many cases and that is to much for me to even consider

Although some folks might use them, you certainly don't need a vacuum and I've never used one on my pellet grills. On my CampChef I just used a handheld dustpan and broom. On the Memphis, ash drops into an ash pan. I probably clean ash and grease out of the Memphis every 5 or 6 cooks and it takes about 5-10 minutes.

But I agree, the Masterbuilt Gravity feed would be something to seriously consider. I've already got 3 charcoal cookers or I would order one right now myself.

Reactions: nomad_archer
Vertical due to both the size and capacity. Horizontal large pellet ones are very expensive and just starting out I donr want to spend that much money.

As far as pellet brands yes that's all I've seen. I do like the copperheads but I do see alot of issues with the controller going g bad and then going on fire.

I converted a wsm18 to propane and it works great. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/heres-my-rig.287752/#post-1964518

It was a gift so no complaints, but I would rather have the 22.

I'm the same way I am willing to spend the money on a good product I just dont have 1200 for a rec tec. I have been doing tons of research like when I buy anything else. I like the idea of a vertical more plus they are a little cheaper. I do like the Copperheads but keep seeing on groups about then going on fire which makes me a little nervous. Cant really make up my mind on another solid pellet smoker. The propane ones I have seen are decent but have some mixed reviews. I just donr want to make a poor choice. The more I read the more confused on which type or product is better

I said the same thing when I was looking for a pellet smoker. I wish I would have spent the money on the Rec Tec Bull to begin with. Instead I bought a Traeger (it was a POS) then bought a GMG (much better than a Traeger but still had issues) Then finally the Rec Tec. I believe that Rec Tec offers some type of financing with low interest rate. Good Luck with you decision

I said the same thing when I was looking for a pellet smoker. I wish I would have spent the money on the Rec Tec Bull to begin with. Instead I bought a Traeger (it was a POS) then bought a GMG (much better than a Traeger but still had issues) Then finally the Rec Tec. I believe that Rec Tec offers some type of financing with low interest rate. Good Luck with you decision

If my local costco still had any I am really leaning towards the Louisiana Grill 7 since it's the same as the Pit Boss 7 and for $479 I thinks it's a fair price with not too many issues.

Ok thanks for the clarification. Do you have any recommendations on vertical type pellet smokers for a fam of 5 but easily have 15 in no time with siblings? I have seen alot about Copperheads having electrical issues. Or is propane the way to go?

The 5 series would be fine for your needs.
And as other posters have said, the temps on LPG smokers can be difficult to control.
As for the Copperheads having electrical issues and catching fire, I know of only one instance reported here on the forums which really wasn't caused by an electrical issue and was more than likely due to improper shutdown.
Any smoker will require due diligence.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky