Looking for a recipe suggestion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brshooter

Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Most of my sausage making has been along the line of Texas Hot Links and Jalapeno/Cheddar Brats. Both smoked and fresh. Looking for a new recipe that may be more appealing to those who are shy of the spicy sausages. Thinking of a garlicy fresh bratwurst. Any recommendations on a recipe. I've been looking at some of the recipes at https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes, but would welcome some first hand recommendations.

These are some I've made from the Marianski website .

Augsburger -German .
I added 2 cloves of garlic to the formula .

Bockwurst .
Calls for egg whites and milk . I use whole eggs and heavy cream .

Frankfurter - wiener wurstel .
Has garlic in it , I upped the amount .

Italian .
Sweet , mild or hot .

Texas Hot link .
I make these with Carolina Reaper powder . I know you're asking about non-spicy . This is a fresh sausage that has a great spice profile . You could leave out the heat and follow the rest .

had the same issue and here is a recipe where I combined the parts the family liked into one recipe. Just made a batch last night from a picnic shoulder I found on sale.

3341 total grams picnic shoulder and brisket trim.

Meat
(Add 10% fat to picnic shoulder)
For venison add 30% fat
Kosher salt 1.8% 61g
Brown sugar 1.3%. 44g
Black pepper .64% or .5%white pepper 17g
Curing salt .25% 8g
Garlic powder .92% 31g
Mustard seed .22%. 8g
Marjoram .1% 4g
3% nonfat dry milk powder 3% 100g
1/2 cup cold 1/2 1/2 6% 200
Pepper jack cheese or Cheddar 10% 400g
Red pepper flakes .3%. 10g

Reactions: Brshooter
Here is the result going on the smoker today! Picnic shoulder was 7 pounds.

Attachments

• 49EC8057-C936-4AB1-B5C4-0908E6D2B6E0.jpeg
    49EC8057-C936-4AB1-B5C4-0908E6D2B6E0.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 13
Here is a simple recipe that I make usually with ground pork butt, you can add some beef if you like.

Per 1 Kg pork butt (80/20)

Salt) 1.5%

Cure 1) .25%

Black pepper) 2g

Gran garlic) 2g

Coriander) 1g

Paprika) 1-2g

Grind 700g meat through 3/8 plate. Grind 300g meat through 1/8 plate

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky