Looking for a propane or pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

short smoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
York, Pa
I have a Chevy offset smoker that I been using for a year and a half or so. But dont get as much time to smoke on it as I like. Dont have the time to stoke the fires anymore. Was looking for something that is set and forgot for the most part but will impart good smoky flavor that I love from my charcoal smoker. I just can't babysit it as much anymore. I do enjoy being able to use it if the need arises if the power goes out that's why was thinking propane because of portability. Any help in selecting a different smoker is appreciated

Even better than both of those is an electric smoker of your choosing that is easily compatible with the AMNPS system . Seriously. Look into it.

You'll love it.

Edit: I saw your part about imparting the same kind of flavor your charcoal does. I double light my amnps with heavy flavor pellets on certain smokes and I'm telling you the slight trade off in charcoal / creosote ish tasting flavor is WAY made up for in convenience. Set it, go to sleep, wake up to a killer brisket, shoulder, etc humming along like it should with no surprises

Depending on budget I’d suggest an insulated vertical cabinet fueled by charcoal. Those are close to set and forget once temp is dialed in.

i just recently bought a masterbuilt propane smoker. it's not as "set and forget" as i had hoped it would be, because very slight variations in the flame can cause noticeable temperature swings. i added a solenoid valve and PID controller to control propane flow to help with that. i add a few lumps of charcoal in with my wood to help get the flavor i'm used to with charcoal.

electric seems to have a big following on this board, and it seems to be very much "set and forget" out of the box without having to do much else except add a pellet burner/smoker. not sure how you'd get charcoal to burn in it though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky